PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #1 

Has Ted or any of you ever heard of Shuggie Otis? He came with a couple albums in the early to mid 70's. His two most famous ( or not so famous for that matter) were "Freedom Flight" and "Inspiration Information". His father was Johnny Otis who had a R&B show in the late 60's and 70's. Anyway this guy was a real ripper who was proficient in a wide range of instrument, especially in the R&B sense of things. He also recorded these two albums when he was in his teens, his most famous probably being "Strawberry Letter 23" which the Brothers Johnson covered and took to #1 on ( I dont know which billboard) but this guy kills man, he had it right in the pocket at such a young age. You can probably sample his stuff on iTunes or search him on youtube.com. But if you guys have any information on him that would be great. Ive read that he now resides in sebastopol up in norcal. I think he started doing drugs and that took him down hill. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said shuggie tried to make a come back touring around Socal. I heard he gigged at that Coach House in San Clemente, was an hour late and only a handful of people showed up. I would love to see him or get in touch with him. He was hailed as the next jimi ( but so was the other guy). Anywas any info would be great. Thanks

Reply with quote  #2 
Definitely. I have his first album which has a couple of really fun guitar pieces on it - the opening uptempo blues shuffle, and (on side B I think - remember when there was a side B?) a kind of 12/8 gospel thing drilling a passing diminished chord.  Terrific.  Ted was aware of Shuggie and heard these cuts (I played them for 'em so I'm sure.  Others may have too.)
I haven't kept up with Shuggie, although I thought there was something from the 'Johnny Otis Show' on youtube at one point. 
Every blues fan should hear the two cuts above, just for the humor, if nothing else, and of course - its a 335 on fire ...

Leon
jerome

Reply with quote  #3 
According to the liner notes from Steve Vai's The Elusive Light and Sound, in the original cut of the movie Crossroads, when Eugene and Willie entered the Devil's Church, Vai's character was duelling with another guitarist played by Shuggie Otis. This scene was deleted from the movie but the soundtrack cut entitled Fried Chicken is on this album with Vai and Otis doing the guitar parts.

Regards,
jerome
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #4 
Was ScottBlack (our newest member) the one who posted the Suggie info? I think yesterday? & everyone thought it was an advertisement? Maybe I'm getting the names mixed up as I have never heard of either (if in fact these are two different people) If not - I guess you could email him.

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah it was a different person, Snoozer Quinn or something like that.

Reply with quote  #6 

Snoozer Quinn was the name. Thankfully, the offending (and offensive) post was removed. I think it is really important to keep this forum on message, so to speak. There's plenty of relevant information to keep us all going for a long time without letting commercials creep in. My thanks (again) to Barbara, Leon, and all of the others who do the work to keep this site and forum going. It's truly a wonderful resource.

ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #7 
But what about Shuggie!!!!  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=220644625 Theres four killer songs posted here of his. Remember he was a teen when he recorded this and he did alot of the instrumentals on these songs and even wrote for the strings and horns.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE