PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Ebard155

Reply with quote  #1 
I was listening to the audio lessons that Mark Levy posted up here (by the way thanks a million billion!) and I came across lesson no. 082294 in which Ted analyzes Corcovado and then plays it in the style of Bach. I was wondering if there was any arrangement anywhere that Ted wrote down of this tune.

Thanks!

-Eric Bard

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Eric,
Unfortunately Ted didn't write out anything for Corcovado (I also checked for the alternate title, "Quiet Nights").  Most of Ted's arrangements were in his head.  He may have written down something during a private lesson, so there could be something out there in the hands of an old student.
If something shows up or if anyone has something, please post a copy here!
Maybe someone with good ears can transcribe that Mark Levy lesson from 1994, August 22.  That would be fantastic!

Reply with quote  #3 
Where is that audio lesson? I dont see it in the ted green page.
(sorry for my english)
--
Jose
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Jose,
Sorry for the confusion.
There are two audio lessons with Ted and Mark Levy where they discuss "Corcovado."
One is 1992, September 17 
the other one is 1994, August 22.

The first one is posted in our Audio section, under "Lessons with Mark Levy" (page 2, lesson #23)
http://www.tedgreene.com/audio/audio_LessonsWithMarkLevy_2.asp

The other one isn't posted yet.  It is scheduled to go up in October.  That will be the last of Mark's recordings, lesson #46.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks a lot Paul. I will search that file in the audio section. Greetings from PerĂº.
Regards.
--Jose
BossaGuy

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV
Hi Eric,
Unfortunately Ted didn't write out anything for Corovado (I also checked for the alternate title, "Quiet Nights").  ...
If something shows up or if anyone has something, please post a copy here!
Maybe someone with good ears can transcribe that Mark Levy lesson from 1994, August 22.  That would be fantastic!
--Paul

I'm working on Quiet Nights/Corcovado and I'm listening to the lessons on that tune. I'm guessing that no one has transcribed it so far.

I found Googling around that in lesson #46 Ted is teaching the Cycle of 6ths progressions that he got from Bach (Dave Majerus, Cycle of 6ths Progression: Annotated Bibliography). Parts of lesson #46 related to the Cycle of 6th has been transcribed by Robert Smith. The lesson starts with Corcovado improv then moves to Sus chords, and Cycle of 6ths, then returns to Corcovado. Seems like in learning Corcovado you're also learning how to improvise over a tune using the Cycle of 6ths and sus chords.

I'm an amateur but I might try to do a transcription based on this lesson as it seems to be a really good tune to learn on. I know this piece really well in its basic form so it's a really good one for me to study Ted's approach on. Because 
I'm quite familiar with Corcovado so I understand quite well some of the substitutions that he's suggesting in lesson #22. I'll also give transcribing the material as it relates to Corcovado and post it here for people to check it.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE