PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
guitarnerd24

Reply with quote  #1 

I was wondering if Ted had anything on whole tone harmony?

JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #2 
GN,

I am sure he had a good chunk of stuff on it, but one thing I pulled from Mark Levy's lessons w/ Ted was the following:

1.  Take an augmented triad in any voicing, let's say Caug voiced G#, C, E on the D, G, and B strings, around the 5th fret.

2.  Use any of the notes in the whole tone scale other than C as the lowest note of the chord.  It sounds very cool when you move through available notes descinding in some type of pattern.

In the example from the lesson, Ted moves through the whole tone scale descinding while holding that augmented triad and it sounds like something from a film score!  I know when I play these types of sounds, it gets people's attention.  The combination of the augmented triad w/ the moving bassline is very cool indeed.

Hope that helps.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Someone recently made a request for Ted's page on "Whole Tone Sounds."
In 1977 Ted wrote out a few examples and then did another page in 1978.  Both have been combined here (the 1977 parts are at the bottom). It has been cleaned up a bit to straighten out the crooked staffs, and in the process the page size became taller than a normal 8.5 x 11 page. (you might want to print it out on legal-sized paper).
Have fun....
--Paul

UPDATE:
The 1977 page mentioned above has been moved to the "Teachings" section of the TedGreene.com website under the "Harmony" area.  In addition, three other pages on whole-tone harmony has been added.
--Paul

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE