PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
TomC

Reply with quote  #1 

I would like to buy one Ted Greene book. I am aware of 4 of his books:

- Chord Chemistry

- Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing - Vol 1

- Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing - Vol 2

- Modern Chord Progressions

Which book has the most musical examples and is the most user friendly? I understand that 2 of these books are 'jazz chord' focused while the other 2 books are 'jazz line' focused. I need work in both areas (chords and single lines) and was wondering if  a case could be made that the chord books were more interesting and helpful than the single line books?

So maybe it's two questions...

- If you could only pick 1 book (which one and why?)

- If you coul pick 2 books (which ones and why?)

Thanks

Portland, Oregon

Tom

tedstafford

Reply with quote  #2 
I know Ted only through the books (and Mark's lesson tapes, thanks again Mark) and I can say withonly a little doubt that Single Note Soloing, vol. 1 is the one to get because it has great single note stuff as well as tons of chord forms and arpeggios. And it really helps with ear training. HOWEVER! I'm currently working through Modern Chord Progressions for the first time and it is also brilliant. It's a definate runner up and I could understand why some might place it first. Not only does it have skads of lovely chords, but they are all in context. Chord Chemistry is wonderful but I find it somewhat less user friendly and Single Note Soloing, Vol. 2 is great but it's volume 2 after all. These books are such fun to read. The humor and clarity is wonderful.

Best of luck!
ted stafford

Reply with quote  #3 

I would have to agree with Mr. Stafford here, as I was one of the students with Ted as he was writing both books, and we were sort of 'guinea pigs' for their effectiveness.  I would actually recommend that you get both books at once, devoting a little bit at a time, and alternate back and forth.  Both books are meant to be gone through in order, whereas one can 'sweet-tooth' Chord Chemistry, as it  were...

The good news here is that they are both a joy to work with, simply because they are so musical, as well as ear & hand developent oriented. They will become treasured friends for the rest of your life...no exaggeration.

Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks for the advice. I will get those two books you have suggested. It must have been a wonderful experience being able to study with Ted. What a talent!

Thanks again - Tom C

Bob

Reply with quote  #5 

I agree with Mark. I think the books all work together. If you're serious about Ted's teaching I highly recommend getting all four books while they are available. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to try and purchase Jimmy Wyble's book on two part improvisation, only to find it discontinued. 

Reply with quote  #6 

my favorite was Modern Chord Progressions.  I went through the entire book 3 times, every page of it.

KASHI

Reply with quote  #7 
 I HAVE CHORD CHEMISTRY  AND  MODERN CHORD PROG.( BRILLIANT) 
   AND I'M LOOKING FOR THE SINGLE LINES BOOKS.   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THEM?   I REALLY WANT THEM  AND  TED'S  CD   "SOLO GUITAR" 
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #8 
I vote for Modern Chord Progressions as the most user friendly and the one you'll get the most out of by simply playing through it. Chord Chemistry is fantastic if you have a lot of time to study it. Ted himself wished he could change things in it because his knowledge had increased so much since writing it in the 1970s.

Ted's CD, Solo Guitar is available from Art of Life records:

http://www.artofliferecords.com/tedgreene.html

Reply with quote  #9 
I love all the books. I practice through two pages of MCP every day.

Single Note soloing is awesome. Right now I'm learning the overtone series arpeggios and the sounds are blowing my mind! I'm new to jazz guitar (been playing rock/blues for 15 years) and Ted Greene's books are the reason I've moved in this direction.

I've had Chord Chemistry forever, but never really got around to playing through it. It took me a while to figure out that I had to learn to play without a guitar pick to get into this stuff.

d0nba3r

Reply with quote  #10 

I have owned Chord Chemisty for many years, and I'm on my second copy of it. I can always sit down and find something new and valuable - or re-learn something I've forgotten. I also have Modern Chord Progressions and Single-Note Soloing and, while they are fantastic books, I don't believe they've made the practical, day-to-day impact on my playing that CC has. (I hope they will one day, but it hasn't happened yet.) Each book clearly has a lot to offer, and I would also take your learning style into account. The book you like is the one you're more likely to use and, therefore, benefit from. Enjoy!

JamHandy

Reply with quote  #11 
I'm not sure if "Single Note Soloing # 2" has been re-released in print (others here might know, there was some talk about it a while back...)... but I just added up what the other three books would cost on Amazon.com...  and it is less than $45 for all of these:

- Chord Chemistry
- Modern Chord Progressions
- Single Note Soling # 1

Really, my best suggestion to you is to buy anything you can get your hands on by this man, namely those three books. 

There are plenty of ways to spend money on guitar gadgets and guitar stuff these days.  You could spend well over $45 on just one silly stomp box for the electric guitar.  By buying ALL of the Ted Greene books, you would be investing in a sure-fire positive thing that will benefit you for years to come.  (long after that stomp box has worn out...)

Everyone is going to have their favorites, but I think (really) the best answer is to buy them all. 

Here is the link to the search on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/103-0395060-0035839?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ted+greene&x=0&y=0

Peace,

Jam

Mickey

Reply with quote  #12 
I will buy all four books and am happy they’re available on Kindle. However does anyone have experience with the Kindle versions? Sometimes Kindle...leaves things out..
Deparko

Reply with quote  #13 
I just refreshed my versions of all four books. My originals are falling apart and yes a lifetime of study. He always told me to go through the books with a marker and mark the chords, progressions, iines that I like and practice those first. Take bits of it and make it yours. You will be taking bites for the rest of your life
Mickey

Reply with quote  #14 
Just to inform interested parties: contacted publisher and they said kindle versions were exact replicas. Bought chord chemistry and it seems like it was scanned (thus exact version). Waiting for hard copies of two mentioned at start here, since I want to write in the book too
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE