PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
rgorke

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been away from the guitar for quite a while and just recently have begun playing again.  I have been browsing through this site, printing some pages off, and, frankly, a lot of this can be a bit overwhelming.

My basic question is, where to begin?

I am working on 1-2-3-4, and 2-3-4-5, m7, dom 7, maj 7 inversions. 

What else?  I am thinking of some of Ted's basic chord progressions,

Suggestions?

Thanks

Roger
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Roger,  It would be helpful to know what your goal is as a player as well as what type of music you love and wish to play.  Jazz or Blues? Single line or chord melody? All of the prior listed? These are a few of the first questions Ted would ask his students. With that in mind, I or someone else here could give you useful suggestions.  Yes, the amount of lesson material here can be quite daunting.  Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Barbara, quite an honor to have you respond to my question.

I have been mainly a rock and roll player but a short to medium range goal is to play with our church worship band.  In terms of likes, etc.  I lean more toward jazz and the chord melody type of playing.  I really enjoyed working through or trying to work through Ted's arrangements of some of the Christmas Carols such as The Christmas Song. 

I did take lessons from a really good friend of mine who was also one of Ted's students back in the day.  He turned me on to some of Ted's work.  Little did I know at the time that he only exposed me to one page of the Clif Notes version of his work. 

So that is where I am headed. 

Thanks again for your response.  Do you think this is the right area of the forum for my question?
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello again Roger, 
Thank you for considering my response an honor, I am in turn honored by that, and do hope I can help you out.
I am still a bit unclear as to what your goal entails, since I do not know what music your church worship band plays. 
However, there is much material to enhance your general knowledge and this all can be applied to various areas of playing.

On the actual TedGreene.com site you will find a Lessons category. (Perhaps you already have?) Under the Lessons category you will find a Harmony category.  Ted's sheets on Harmonic Vocabulary might be useful for finding options for basic chord progressions and discovering the sounds you like or that might be suitable to incorporate into what you are already playing.
Also under that same heading (Harmony), is How High The Moon.  Ted offers many diverse examples and reasons for harmonizing the phrases in each particular instance.  He explains this on page 1.

The main idea is to listen carefully as you play each example in whatever you choose,  and see if it truly resonates with you, does it touch you, do you love it?   Choose those to work on.

Since you also mention you like playing through the chord melody arrangements, try studying them as you play through them, ask yourself why Ted made the choices he made. Eventually you may be able to come up with your own arrangements. 
Please be patient with yourself and remember all this takes time to absorb, but with willingness to learn, you will indeed learn. 

Please let me know if any of this is helpful, or if I have misunderstood your intent?  All the best, Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
Roger,

I've said this before  - there may be others - but Jimmy Bruno, on line is the most organized and best place to learn about jazz guitar.  Also, Rich Severson (Guitar College) was a friend and student of Ted's.  He plays great and has great solo guitar arraignments.  And, Sid Jacobs.  If you are ever in LA, or get a chance to study from him, he is from the same planet as Ted.  And, if you EVER have the opportunity to hear Sid and Ron Berman do it!  It is a life changing event.  Back on Earth and levels below these guys, one can learn solo arraignments quite quickly form Robert Conti.
rgorke

Reply with quote  #6 
William,

Thanks for the tips on those guys.  I will check them out.

Barbara, thanks for taking the time to figure out my vagueness.  In skimming some of those pages, I think it is hard for me to grasp the direct applicability of some of Ted's thinking. 

In terms of church playing, we all see the charts with G-D-G-C-G-A- D or something like that over a few lines of a song.   I guess I am asking about what I hear in my head as some potential transitional chords that follow the melody. 

So, rather than just strumming a G chord, one could find either alternative voicings for the G chord or other chords that "fit" harmonically eventually ending up or landing on the D chord.  Those are terms that seem to make sense to me. 

Am I making any sense or providing some clarity?

Thanks for your patience
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Roger:

I think for the long run your best bet would be to find a local teacher or player to help you get started in the direction you're interested in.  The topics you're bringing up are not easily explained over the internet, and you could easily become overwhelmed with the information available on this forum.  I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but your goals seem a little unfocused, at least as far as I can tell from your posts, and some one-on-one time with a good teacher can open up many doors for you.

Something that would really help us help you at this point would be if we could see an example of one of the charts you're working from in church.  Then we could all offer advice on how to spice things up.  Of course, that could get overwhelming, too, but it might be the best way to kick things off.

Reply with quote  #8 
By the way, Roger, what do you mean by 1-2-3-4 and 2-3-4-5?

Reply with quote  #9 
I hear you on the teacher but finances are severely limiting me at this time.  I feel like I have a ton of material to work on, it is just putting it in some semblance of an order.

Here is what I mean by the 1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-5 inversions. 

http://forums.tedgreene.com/file?id=239872

I am essentially doing the first two chords - with the three additonal inversions.  Make sense?

I thought about attaching a song I am working on.  It just seems to get boring pretty quickly even with doing different right hand rythym patterns.

I have attached one song I have been working on.  It is pretty simple but I thought it could be "jazzed" up.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Roger

WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #10 
Roger,

Playing jazz is an immense undertaking, and can be quite confusing.  Carving your own path may lead you into many frustrating and time consuming "dead ends".  Ted was my dearest friend but to start with Ted is like staring into the Sun.  One could go blind.  Ted was the most advanced and complicated guitarist on the planet.  So, here we go again.  I have no financial or political reasons for recommending Jimmy Bruno.  He is simply the best, easiest, quickest, most organized, simple way of learning guitar.....AND, it is $20 a month.  That is the best value since Eastman guitars.  And, you don't even have to feel guilty about sending money out of the country in this recession.  
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Roger,
 Please try attaching the song again as it did not appear on your post.
 I do understand how even 20.00 per month could be prohibitive, sometimes there is barely enough for necessities.  We will try to help as much as we can here and try not to overwhelm you.

Reply with quote  #12 
Hopefully the song will come through this time.

The fact that you all are even engaging me in this is a testiment to Ted, how much he was loved, how much he loved his work and how you want it to live on.  I applaud you for that.

My friend and former teacher who exposed me to Ted advised me not to focus too much on his work because he understands how complicated this can be.  But, I have to think that there are some basic concepts, aspects, and tools that can be incorporated without being overwhelmed. 

I suppose I am looking for the Chord Chemistry for Dummies or how does one take their guitar playing, not necessarily to a whole new and different level but add some spice and flavor to their playing based on Ted's work.

Does that make sense?  As a father of two with a full time job completely unrelated to guitar, how can I incorporate some of this into my playing?

Just a little more of where I am coming from.

Thanks again,

Roger

ps - I figured out that I was trying to attach a pdf file before. 
spinality

Reply with quote  #13 
I thought about adding a new topic, but perhaps a bump on this thread is logical. Has anybody tried to organize Ted's lesson material in a progression from basic to advanced concepts, in the same kind of sequence that he might have used this with a student? I am guessing that some of these pages would help me get more comfortable reading the grids and seeing the relationships, before moving the the hairier examples. The topics themselves provide a clue about which material is more advanced, but as I look at these I keep feeling that it might be smoother going if I could put them in Ted's intended sequence. Thanks for any comments. Perhaps it's really all just a circle of interrelated issues, but I sense that some pages are really the 'homework' for other pages.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #14 
I don't think an outline or recommended path has been discussed more then 6,109 times.  The problem is this:  Ted didn't have a full blown path through this. He would give you what he thought you needed (or asked for in the case of CM tunes).  So HE started all over the place.

On the other hand, making some kind of a "beginners can start here" recommendation might be useful.  BUT - a recommendation from anyone will never match the subtle educational approach Ted might apply.  I'd like to hear pro and cons, if the group doesn't mind.  And possible recommendations.

One that comes to mind is to list TOPICS by typical difficulty or challenge - i.e. minor Pent scale over it's mi7 chord not as 'hard' or harmonically weird as alt dom scales over moving alt chords (poor example perhaps). 

Certainly the arrangements and comps could be generally rated by complex chord fingerings, harmonic changes ("This is really 'Happy Birthday?!"), number of chords per measure, and so on.  Again, I'm interested in your ideas.

I used his pages in a progressive teaching way, adding starter pages for simple arrangements etc. but that is just one way.  And I was focussed on moving advanced and capable students to Ted from myself. He was the master - I was the guy outside holding the reins of the horse for the master's valet's cousin's tailor.

Great Question.

Leon
Keith

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Leon,
This is a challenging topic. We all come into this with varied musical backgrounds, knowledge and skill levels. Maybe a separate tab like the Fundamentals section with a list of recommended prerequisites and and perhaps some links to some good books along with some of Teds easier more straight foreward arrangements. 

I have found numerous hints from Ted throughout these pages and in his books on how to integrate this stuff. Maybe collect and include them as well. 

Just some thoughts.
Keith
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE