PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
kontiki

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello again, I put up a second youtube video for this great arrangement of this great tune. 

I added an intro, a coda, and some passing chords here and there. I cheated a little by putting it into E instead of playing it in his original Eb (better for resonance and for avoiding getting a tendonitis for repeatedly stretching for 2 crazy voicings). the video quality is still terrible since i recorded it from my phone, but the audio is pretty good (In my opinion). As usual any feedback (verbal, not audio i hope)  is welcome.

Reply with quote  #2 
Excellent!
Thanks for recording this and sharing it with us.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #3 
A beautiful rendition - I posted a comment on your Youtube place.  (I hope it worked)  Again, echoing Paul, thanks for sharing.  Barbara

Reply with quote  #4 
That is really nice.  I like it a lot.
Sammo

Reply with quote  #5 
That's awesome!!

May I ask what is the last chord of B-section (2:17)? And is passing chord after F#min7 at 2:32 G diminished with F# on top?  

Thanks for sharing,
Sampo
kontiki

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the encouraging words .  Yes, the passing chord after the F#min7 at 2:32 is a G diminished with F# on top. And the the last chord of B-section is a F/B or you could condider it a B7b9b5 (without the 3rd). Anyway, as you probably know, it's one of these Dominant type chords that comes out of the half-whole step diminished scale (in this case the B half-whole diminished scale).

there's also a passing chord at one point between the B7 and the Am7  i throw in a Bb9.  and maybe one or two others... I don't quite remember. Once I learn the arrangement it slowly gets personalized over time. I hadn't realized how much I had changed the "Shadow of your smile" version until I looked at it again after i made the video (gloops!).

Reply with quote  #7 
Sounds great. Since you've changed keys, fingering and added intro,code, passing chords I think we can say it's your arrangement now!

Reply with quote  #8 
I definitely wouldn't say that. The heart and bulk of the arrangement is Ted's version. 

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks kontiki!

That F/B sound is something Joe Diorio would use a lot. Now I'll have to learn incorporate that.

Sampo
wkriski

Reply with quote  #10 
I would say 'inspired by'

Reply with quote  #11 
Sammo,

One way I often use that chord (the F/B or B7b9b5 (without the 3rd)) is to go from a B7sus(or 9 or 13) to the F/B (if you have enough time to do so).

for example at that cadence (at the end of the B sectoin) right after the F#m7 you can go to a B7sus (or think of it as a A/B) and then go to the F/B.   Or you could even play the B7sus (A/B) instead of the F#m7. that would give you a bar for each chord, instead of  half a bar for each.

so you could think of it in formula terms:  bVII/Root  to bV/Root    

bVII being an A  triad   and   bV being  an  F triad,      all with B (the root of the chord) in the bass.   I hope this isn't confusing...

Reply with quote  #12 

Beautiful.  Really rich tone from that nylon string and great feel and voicings.  Really well done!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE