PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Evan

Reply with quote  #1 
In one of the great videos shot by Ted's students ( don't recall which ) Ted talks briefly about the band Nirvana. Given that he doesn't usually talk about music genres outside of jazz, blues, and classical, I thought that was a nice little nugget of insight on a rarely discussed topic. I suspect that he mentioned Nirvana more because they were impossibly popular at the time and not because they were musically more interesting or more deserving of his attention than other, better punk bands.

If I had been there, I would have asked if he had heard of bands like The Smiths, The Cocteau Twins, Sonic Youth, and Husker Du.

So I'm wondering if he ever spoke about punk rock bands with any of his students. I would be very interested to know what he thought about some of the better punk bands - and of the genre on a whole.

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't recall them ever being discussed.  Which doesn't mean he didn't discuss them, but since my kids were of that 'interest' at the time somewhat, I would have expected him to talk to them about it if it came up.  That's all from that corner.

Leon
James

Reply with quote  #3 
I also don't recall him discussing the bands you mentioned but that doesn't mean he hadn't listened to them some. He may have.

I do remember discussing playing music of a more "commercial" and currently popular nature both for performing experience and possibly to earn a living. He certainly had respect for musicians doing that. And I remember him mentioning that certain current (late 1980s at that time) R&B music had fairly sophisticated chord changes, particularly ballads. He liked that kind of thing.
jazzuki

Reply with quote  #4 

Paul & Leon.I've seen this site and wonder what you think."JazzGuitarWOD".He is using MCP as his tutorial.Thats why I put the query under this heading.It can only do good but I think he should get in touch with this site first out of common courtesy.Peter.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #5 
Peter,
Can you provide a link to the site you mentioned?

Reply with quote  #6 

Paul.Its as it is with .com after it. ie.JazzGuitarWOD.com-P.

jazzuki

Reply with quote  #7 

Paul.I see JazzGuitarWOD has made contact.Seems fair to me.P

Evan

Reply with quote  #8 
Peter,

Thanks for that link.  Nice blog.  Did you mean that I should check it out because of my question about Ted's thoughts on punk music?  

Reply with quote  #9 
Evan,
The original subject of this thread has been hijacked....the blog is unrelated.

Reply with quote  #10 
I guess I should chime in here!  I watched my old video lesson again titled "Summer 1999" and found the place where Ted mentions Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.  It is within the context of his planned book "The Harmony of American Music".  Ted says it is very new to him and he is going to the library to check it out.  I never heard any more about it.  I have had lessons with Ted for over 30 years, this was the only time he ever mentioned any group from this genre.  Simply a passing curiosity!

Nick

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE