PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
xavriley

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all,

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this: http://www.gloriousvoiceleader.com/

Pete Corey (who I only know of via Twitter) has been working on a set of computer programs to generate diagrams a la Ted. I think it's looking really promising! It can identify

a) the notes for a given chord
b) where they are located on the neck
c) how "playable" they are (with some guesses about the possible stretches
d) how to move smoothly to another chord (voice leading)

If anyone has any constructive feedback or suggestions I'll try to make sure he sees them.

Xav

petecorey

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks @xavriley! This is very much a work in progress, but I'd be interested to hear any and all feedback.

Behind the scenes it uses Ted's V-System (as described by James Hober) to generate all possible voicings for _most_ chord qualities, and some of my own algorithms to generate all possible fingerings for each voicing.

When you tell it you want to play a chord, it looks at the previously played chord and picks the "best" voicing, optimizing for voice leading and playability (the minimum "distance" between the two most obvious fingerings).

Here's what it recommends out of the box for the chords in Fly Me to the Moon. Obviously you'd need to do some curation to get melodies and bass lines to fit. Try unchecking some of the fretted notes and seeing what other possibilities it suggests.

I've still got a lot of work to do, and a lot of ideas to add, but I'd love to know what people think!

Obviously Ted was a huge inspiration for this project. Ted is the true Glorious Voice Leader, imo.
Michel

Reply with quote  #3 
The link for site is dead.....

Reply with quote  #4 
The number of chord qualities I was generating voicings for blew threw the available memory on me free hosting provider. I had to cut back to the basics (∆7, m7b5, m7, and 7), but hopefully it should be a little more stable now...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE