PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
James

Reply with quote  #31 
Hi Jughandle,

V-11 is V-4 with an extra octave between the alto and soprano.
V-12 is V-3 with an extra octave between the bass and tenor.
V-13 is V-1 with an extra octave between the tenor and alto.
V-14 is V-1 with an extra octave between the alto and soprano.

All of the above info and more is in Ted's Master Formula Table from his Method 1 of the V-System.  For details, read Method 1 - How to Recognize and Method 1 - How to Build posted here:

http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/v_system.asp
jughandle

Reply with quote  #32 
Hi James,  How do you say you're sorry for not reading the manual?  So much for my first post.  Thank you for your patience.

I went through the 43 possibilities of 4 note chords, and ended up with about 14 that I could stand (Popeye's threshold!) -- starting with C minor add 2 -- C D Eb G, ending with C aug Maj 7 -- C E G# B.  The rest of the mix sorta hurt my eyeballs!

Also, since I was having trouble getting the first chord in the 14 voicings of the G7 / bF# sample line that he wrote for you (Who Is James?), I made a midi of all these chords.  The first chord -- F5 D5 B4 G4 -- was difficult to finger on the top four strings, so I wanted to hear it (and the rest) before I mangle 'em.  This chord fingering is a piece of cake on a keyboard, but that isn't what this is about.

How do you post a .mid file or a .doc file here?  I think you use Sibelius, or some such, for music.  What is the proper decorum and protocol?  Carl
James

Reply with quote  #33 
Of the 43 four note chord qualities, some are familiar, some are uncommon, and some are highly dissonant and therefore rarely or never used in tonal music.  Remember, the 43 include every possible four note chord where all of the four notes are different.  I expect to be releasing my chapter on the 43 in Oct. 2012.  Stay tuned.

V-1s can be hard to play because of their stretches.  But there are some really nice sounds here.  You don't want to hurt yourself by overstretching your fingers but gradually you can do more of these chords.  Here's a simple exercise using V-1s that I like to do for the sound as much as the fingers:

Start with Dmaj7 on the top strings: C# A F# D on strings 1 2 3 4.  Then move fingers 1 and 2 down a fret to get D7b5.  Then move fingers 3 and 4 down a fret to get Dbmaj7.  Then move fingers 1 and 2 down a fret.  And so on down the neck so that the frets get bigger and your stretch increases.

This exercise helps you to stretch between fingers 2 and 3.  You can modify it to practice the easier stretches between fingers 1 and 2 and between fingers 3 and 4.

I like to begin my practice with a simple exercise that works on some physical aspect of playing.  This is one I have used in the past.

When you post on this forum, there's a link that says "Manage Attachments."  Below it are listed the only kinds of attachments you are allowed to post: bmp, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, png.  Until and if the forum software can be modified - something I don't expect - you'll have to take a screenshot of your Sibelius or Word doc file and and post the graphic.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE