PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 

Does anyone have any handout sheets wherein Ted explains and gives examples of what he called "Voice Switching" or Voice Swapping? 

I've been listening to Mark Levy's lessons with Ted, and in the 7/20/90 recording they discuss this subject and play through some examples.  I'm not listening with my guitar in hand, so I'm trying to follow along mentally.  I thought I understood the concept, but when I tried some regular chord forms and applied the technique I end up with some monster stretches, and it didn't sound as I expected.  In the tape Ted sounds real enthusiastic about this, and he said that G. Van Eps also showed it to him, although Ted had already discovered it via Bach.  Anyway, Ted said it was a major revelation to him, especially when applying passing tones between the switches.

Maybe this is pretty basic stuff, but I think I need a starter "show-me."

Anyone?

Thanks!

--Paul

Reply with quote  #2 
From what I'm understanding of your question, have you looked at the chapter in Chord Chemistry about moving voices? He talks about basic voice leading (for example, the b7 leading to the 3rd of another chord), and how some voices will actually swap for one another. I can't explain it too well, as I'm not looking at the book.
But if you haven't already done so, take a look at the chapter...and that's if I even understood your question.

Reply with quote  #3 

I also listened to this voice-switching lesson and was left a tad confused even though i followed through it in my head ot the best of my ability. 

i immediately looked up the chapter in cc on voice-leading but couldn't find anything which covers this switching/swapping concept (unless it is in there diguised and escaped me).

can anybody provide an example?

Deparko

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Guys,

Voice switch is bascially switching let's say two voices within a chord.  So for example as in the lesson, Ted says to start switching the root and the third. So  take a diatonic chord stream in let's say V4.  Ascend the root to the third and decend the third to the root. I believe if the interval is too large or the stretch to big, just reverse the intervals. Also try switching the 5th and the 7th. Think linear!

Ted did not give me a worksheet, he pushed me to create my own, so  I created some exercises which I scanned in and put on the download side. Look for the same naming convention as the files (072092).

It's pretty cool stuff. I did not explore it very far but just enough to understand it and get it under my hands at the time (14 years ago).

Cheers and have fun,

Mark

dracula

Reply with quote  #5 

very kind of you to add that extra info in order to help those of us having trouble grasping the concept. am now able to see what was going on with all the swapping and moving of voices.. very nice!  and thanks v. much.

Dan52Tele

Reply with quote  #6 
I hate to admit it but even with the pdf i'm still struggling to get my head around the idea, the three chords on Gm if this could be broken down for a newcomer to jazz then i would sincerly apprecite it, the whole swapping idea seems straight forward but need it explaining also a V4 stream??....many thanks in advance.
Deparko

Reply with quote  #7 
No worries, I'll help you out. I understand that sometimes its hard to understand. It took me a while as well. If you look at the sheet that you mention. Let's establish the environment first.

1. Diatonic in Bb major.
2. The exercise starts on the 6th (Gm7).
3. We are using voicing group 4 (If you were not one of Ted's students you might not know what these are).
4. We now are going to switch two voices. In this exercise we  will switch the root and the 3rd.
5. The first example starts on Gm7 so we taking the root and ascend diatonically up to the third (Bb).  At the same time we will take the 3rd (the Bb on string 3) and descend that to the root (G).
6. So if the starting point is the Gm7, the passing chord would be a Dm with the 5th in the bass (if I'm not mistaken) and the destination chord would be a 1st inversion Gm7 in voicing group 2.

I now go up the diatonic scale using the same logic. I hope that makes sense. You might want to look at the other page it's easier to visualize.

Best Regards,

Mark

p.s. I'm a little rusty at this so if I'm incorrect, someone please chime in.

kontiki

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey, just saw this thread. Are you guys still interested in this stuff. I know there's already some stuff on the site about that but I have written out quite a few of these guitar-friendly voice exchange things (things i got from listening to Ted and stuff I learned from studying and listening to classical music). If anybody is interested I can write them up on the PC and post some stuff.

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes, I would be very interested in seeing what you have, Mike!  I love these voice exchange things.

Reply with quote  #10 

I would be interested if you are offering . I really appreciate your help nailing down this concept!

PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
Yes!  I too would like to see more written up on this subject - with lots of examples.
As a matter of fact, if you have a substantial amount of material that would be better to put in the "From Students" section, perhaps we can arrange that with Barbara for next month (May). 
Barbara, what say you?

Reply with quote  #12 
Ok writing them up. will post during the weekend

Reply with quote  #13 
Cool...thanks!

Reply with quote  #14 
Any examples of  this would be great, thanks alot.
Steve.
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks so much Mike! I totally appreciate your contributions, as do many others it appears.  Very encouraging.   Probably best to just post the examples here.

Paul, you know how complicated it could get if not.  Eventually Dan can move them if necessary.  Right humble webmaster?

Best to you all,

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE