PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
RocketMan

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone, I stumbled upon Ted's videos a while ago while looking up guitarists and I was floored when I heard the music he was playing, in particular, the autumn leaves video on YouTube. I never heard that one played like that. So, I'm a complete novice to the guitar and I want to be able to one day tackle his books. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome Rocketman,
When a new student came to Ted he would ask many questions in order to determine what would be the best path for learning.  If you go to the TedGreeneArchives (click at the top of this page) then click on Notes and Ideas - there is a page that Ted wrote titled Musical Priorities.  Please read this and ask yourself these questions - then I or someone here would be better able to guide you in a direction best suited to your wants and needs. 
Please try this - I don't want to discourage you in any way, but not having any knowledge of your acquaintance with the guitar or musical background I don't know how to properly advise you.   All the best, Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm glad you found Ted's videos and this site!

If you like chord melody then you can try some of the arrangements posted in the lessons section. Some of the stretches are difficult so you might want to substitute an easier to reach chord or just keep trying to get them. It's okay to play them before you fully understand how it all works IMO.

In the autumn leaves video Ted gets into baroque style playing where you start to see more movement of individual lines. This area would require you to learn a variety of closed and open triads and their inversions. Or try to find arrangements that have this type of movement already. I'm working on some myself.

The reason I promote learning songs is that it is easy to get frustrated when you learn lots of chords or theory and don't know how to apply it to making music. Getting songs under your belt that you can play will do wonders for your confidence so I suggest focusing on that.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for replying. I'm going to reply to it the best I can since I'm no good at reading cursive handwriting:

1. What do I want to do with music? I want to be able to play in a group just as much as I'd like to be self-focused. I want to know the in and outs of music and am willing to devote much time to it, I just need direction. Studio playing? Maybe, but I don't like to get ahead of myself. I guess I want to see what happens.

2. What should I work on? I guess that's what I'm asking for

3. I don't think I would like to specialize in any type of music, I just have an attraction to melodic guitar playing; guitars that sound like it's almost singing.

4. Which aspect am I most interested in? I guess I'm interested in all three: harmony, melody and rhythm.

I'm sorry if I wasn't in-depth enough. I'd be willing to take any advice as to what books I should buy to start off or DVDs or things like that. I can't get a guitar tutor since my schedule changes too much. I'm also willing to devote 4 hours a day to this. So, any replies are welcome.
GregB

Reply with quote  #5 
In the "General Topics" section of this there's a thread called "Roadmap for Jazz Guitar" that might be really helpful to you.  If you're an absolute beginner then I'd suggest something much simpler than Ted's books.  They're pretty advanced.

Mickey Baker's books are often recommended although I don't have any of them myself.  Finding a good guitar teacher will help you a lot, especially in jazz, because simply playing with somebody (even just playing the chords) is a great learning experience.

[edit]  I have the Intermediate Jazz Guitar and Advanced Jazz Guitar books by Jody Fisher and I like them.  I'm sure the beginner book is excellent as well.

The 3 Andrew Green books are excellent, but they're fairly advanced.  The red book in particular is great for practicing sight reading.
wkriski

Reply with quote  #6 
If you want to play in a band then that would be different from what you saw in Ted's Autumn Leaves video as that was solo guitar. If you're into playing solo, then I just posted a short lesson example of Autumn Leaves in classical style which Ted liked to do and gives you a taste of where it could lead.

Reply with quote  #7 
HI Rocketman,

On the "actual website" TedGreene.com in the Lessons Section there is a category titled Fundamentals.   As a true beginner these lessons are designed to familiarize the student with the basics.  There are many to choose from here and Ted generally constructed these lessons in a way that you are able to become creative within their structure (sort-of become 'musical' while learning), because he knew that the basics could be boring and tiresome. 
Please look through any or all of these, there's not TOO many! and perhaps there is a page or two you that you will find stimulating. 
Chord Melody begins here really.....  you need all the basics.  Please let me know if anything here is helpful?   Best to you, Barbara

Reply with quote  #8 
Rocket Man,  I know that there are a lot of replies.  So, here is one more.  I can't think of a more complete or better jazz guitar course than Jimmy Bruno's Guitar College on line.  I might have gotten the name wrong, but Jimmy Bruno.  He will take you from beginner to the most advanced jazzer.  He is so clear and knowledgeable.  He makes it as easy as it can get.  You will love this guy.  You won't be Ted, but who is.  If you are in L.A. then study with Sid Jacobs. He is a chord melody master as is Howard Alden (sp?). In the Bay Area Tuck Andress.  But, check out Jimmy regardless.
markjens

Reply with quote  #9 

William, I have to agree with you there. Jimmy has offered more bang for the buck than anyone (aside from here, of course - this is the BEST deal going),.  Jimmy is very reponsive to a willing and eager student!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE