PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #16 
I planned to reply to the 1st post in this thread for the longest time.  Greg makes reference to one of my videos where I say I am putting in about 10 hours a week.  It was a conservative estimate since I had more time available to me to do so back then.  Greg, which video? 

Developing a practice routine and keeping a log has always been a great mystery to me because there are so many things I want to learn and know I am not be able to get to everything.  The key was to prioritize what was more important.  To help with this challenge, Ted provided me with these sheets posted below.  In 1977, right out of the gate, the information Ted provided me was a bit overwhelming.  Naturally, I was attracted to "Solo Symphonic Guitar" where ALL of the areas of necessary study are checked off.

Attached Images
jpeg Musical_Priorities_1.jpg (327.66 KB, 71 views)
jpeg Musical_Priorities_2.jpg (294.30 KB, 63 views)

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #17 
In 1981, a few years later, still grappling with the practice/log routine, I got a hold of Dick Grove's newsletter "Changes" with his article "How To Practice Your Music" posted below.

Attached Images
jpeg Changes_Vol_1_No_2_(1981)_p4.jpg (111.07 KB, 60 views)
jpeg Changes_Vol_1_No_2_(1981)_p5.jpg (91.71 KB, 58 views)

PaulV

Reply with quote  #18 
Nick,
Ted page on "Musical Priorities" (along with a typed transcription page) has been posted in the Lessons section under Fundamentals here:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/fundamentals/MusicalPriorities_TedGreene_1976-05-25_WithTypedText.pdf

Reply with quote  #19 
Yes, I see page one!  Much easier to read for my poor aging eyes!
"Musical Goals And Necessary Areas Of Study" (5-31-76) was something Ted handed out as a companion page to "Musical Priorities" (5-25-76).  Are there any transcribers out there good with columns and check marks?

Reply with quote  #20 
Nick,
Well, at some point I'll probably transcribe that "Musical Goals & Necessary Areas of Study" page, but at this time I think a higher priority for my time is doing some of Ted's other pages.     
At my first lesson with Ted he gave me both of those pages.  I think he did that with all new students.  Ted gave me permission to pass the "Musical Priorities" page on to my students.  It was very helpful to get them to think more deeply about what they wanted to do with the guitar....and their life.

Reply with quote  #21 
I guess I take a radical approach to practicing. To me, discipline means you're divided against yourself. That is, part of you has practice goals that you want to accomplish and part of you resists, avoids, or otherwise doesn't feel like it. The conventional wisdom is that you kick the lazy part of yourself in the butt, accomplish your goals and feel good about it. Maybe that works for some people.

The radical way is to be undivided and do what you love. You love the guitar. You love how it feels and how it sounds. So you pick it up and discover what it wants to do this moment. You have a bunch of modules: sightreading, pieces you are working on, scales, arpeggios, chords, etc. You freely pick a module or it picks you. Away you go for a half an hour or whatever. Then a little break and another module beckons. Sometimes your module may end up being noodling. Other times it is focused. Being present in activity you love, time flies by. Music is.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE