PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
midivox

Reply with quote  #16 
Hi Ted Lovers,
   I recall that Ted usually used a different guitar every time I came for a lesson. Although over the years, he did have favorites.But you know he was always taking them apart and doing things to them.

Usually I brought my old 57 Gretsch to the lessons. Ted suggested I get a limiter and a wider range tone pot. He said he put those on all his Teles and even gave me a name of a guitar tech to go to have it done. I never did because I was happy with the deep Gretsch sound.

As was mentioned, he usually left the trebles down on his amps, he wanted more mid range and bass to come out, to get away from the bright, hard, brittleness of the rock treble sound.

He also had some Teles, with boosts put in, so he could flip a switch, and brighten things up, sort of like a brightness switch does on some amps. He liked everything on the guitar, and once asked me if I had ever played on that Gibson Super Chet with all the toggle switches. He liked it. I said, one time, I liked it too.

A couple of times I brought in a walnut classical guitar for lessons that I use for recording that has a tone like a cello. Indianna Black Walnut. Ted loved that tone. He said, can you bottle it and put it inside a Tele. Ted was a big fan of the cello.

Happy Guitars
Timothy Kelly
MidiVox

MidiVox Voice to Midi Hardware
http://www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #17 
YEP

That's my memory about it too .  The schematics he drew out for me for my tele were adding capacitors at the tone pot.  The caps were then connected to switches.   Different capacitor for differences in filtering out the highes.  Sort of like adding more variations to the tone pot...  The varitone does the same .....

Reply with quote  #18 
Getting ready in a few days to add another humbucker to my tele(in the middle position).   I have a seymore  duncon in the necl pos.,  any suggestions??, or should I just  add another of the same??  I will split them and  phase them too.  My varitone  adds the capacitor  variations..

Reply with quote  #19 
Please could anyone show a picture in which way Ted's Tele had been routed/chambered under the pickguard?

Kind regards from Germany

Peter

SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #20 
Erics routed my "Nocaster" a few years ago.  The next time I change my strings I'll try to remember to take off the guard and shoot a pic.

Reminds me of my lessons with Ted in the late 70s.  I bought a 53 tele and a 62 345, both gone now..He diagramed schematics for me, and told me to get soldering equipment.  Told me to rout out the tele.  I did all -to his specs, and the tele sounded great.  As for the 345, that was more scary.  He gave me a wiring schematic.  Most of the wiring changes were to add on filtering capacitors.  My question to him was, ok, how to wire the 345 through the S holes.  Answer-Cut a hole in the back of the guitar with a saw, and get a plastic plate made.  I did it, but I think I was in tears as I was doing it.  The 345 sounded great, and I wish I still had both guitars....

Reply with quote  #21 
Dear Steve,

that would be very kind. Thanks for your fast answer.

Best

Peter

ps

Reply with quote  #22 
Dear Steve,

thanks for doing this pictures. I really appreciate it!

Kind regards

Peter

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE