PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Deparko

Reply with quote  #1 
This popped up in my news feed:

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2020/07/02/the-presence-of-a-master/

regards
Mark

btw, not sure I agree with everything but certainly interesting perspective
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Mark,
Yeah, I saw that article too, and sent a link to Leon.
We both were confused about the author's perspective.
He is both praising and criticizing Ted.
Odd.

Reply with quote  #3 
Did the author know Ted personally - ?

One of the "big myths" about Ted, and always perpetuated by folks who never met him or maybe only saw a clinic or two from him, is that he was some kind of savant and that he was reclusive and uncomfortable in social situations. This is especially true of the people who are only aware of him via the internet. Yeah, he was definitely a home body, a little guarded and not the most social cat but in the 30 years that I knew him I never found him to be rambling, distracted, unorganized, etc. In fact, anytime I started to deviate from the subject in a lesson he would re-direct me back to the task at hand. And sometimes not so gently either.

Reply with quote  #4 
I think often people approach Ted's material (especially the teaching videos on youtube) expecting a lecture, and they have trouble adjusting when Ted sort of refuses to lecture and instead wants to have a conversation. Obviously Ted knows more than the students, but the goal is for the students to learn, not for Ted to lay out his Grand Teachings.
James

Reply with quote  #5 
That article is simply wrong.  Ted was not "circuitous, desultory, digressive, oblique, tangential, nonlinear, free-associative, random, incoherent."  He was capable of going into any musical area that you wanted to discuss, but he kept you on track.  You specified what you were interested in at your first lesson.  He provided sheets and lessons to keep you moving in that direction.  If you wanted discuss something tangential, he would.  But the main business was music.  Always.

John Burdick, the author of this article, apparently has preconceptions about genius and believes that Ted fit those preconceptions.  He is mistaken.
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #6 
As a long time student of Ted's, I concur!  Mr. Burdick is absolutely off target!  Thank you, James!  [thumb] 
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE