PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #1 
How does ted getting that chiming sound that he plays in Danny Boy and A Certain Smile?
I think they call it false harmonics but IIse aint sure. Could anyone answer this and tell what technique you use to achieve that sound. I think its incredible when Ted does it, you feel like youre in heaven or something mid way through the song. Thanks

Reply with quote  #2 
Jamie Findlay wrote a book called "Harmonics - Guitar In The Style Of Lenny Breau, Ted Greene, and Ralph Towner." It explains the technique and gives examples, and includes a CD. It's only about 15 pages and seems as good a place as any to get started. It was published in 1998 in the Musician's Institute "Private Lessons" series.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 

I'm attaching a couple of handout pages from Ted about artificial harmonics.  The first one is the technique itself.  The second sheet will be on the next post, and it covers scale runs with the chords.

I also recommend getting the GUITAR COLLEGE VIDEO MAGAZINE DVD, Issue #11, "A Tribute To Ted Greene."  In that DVD Rich Severson explains very well and in detail how Ted showed him to play artificial harmonics on chords and with moving scales in the chords.  Here is the link: http://www.guitarcollege.com/videomagazine.htm

Hope you find this helpful.

--Paul

Reply with quote  #4 

Here's the other page on artificial harmonics.

Enjoy!

--Paul

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh yeah!!! thanks so much for these chime harmonic pages. I've been working on my own on this for a while and I was hoping a sheet or two would pop up. Thanks a million.
ted stafford

Reply with quote  #6 

I just found a Youtube link featuring Rich Severson demonstrating the harp harmonics technique as shown to him personally from Ted when they were teaching together years ago:

=

Reply with quote  #7 

The July newsletter will feature the "Harp Harmonics" sheet that Ted prepared for Lenny Breau. It was a handout at one of Lenny's L.A. seminars in the late seventies. I hope it is helpful. 

Reply with quote  #8 

At one point Lenny Breau had a column in Guitar Player magazine - In May 1981 through October 1981 the column was devoted to his use of Harmonics.

In the October 1981 column he wrote "one of the most amazing players I've ever met is author / teacher / guitarist Ted Greene."

I have copies of the columns - I'm reluctant to post them for copyright reasons but I can scan them and email them out on an individual basis - let me know if you're interested.

"Visions - A personal tribute to jazz guitarist Lenny Breau" by Spephen D. Anderson also has quite a bit about Lenny's approach to harmonics.

"Natural & Artificial Harmonics For the Guitar" by David Winters (Santa Cruz, 1985) has some interesting information as well.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE