PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Thought I'd share this with you all:  Ted's transcription of J.S. Bach's Aria in A major.
Ted wrote out the notation by hand back in 1974.  I put his notes on the computer and then wrote out TG-style grid boxes for the chord diagrams.  Ted didn't include any finger or string numbering, so it's not always obvious as to how he intended to play each chord.  I included optional diagrams for instances where the chord could be played in more than one position.  Instead of using the D.S. for the first 9-bar repeat, I simply wrote it out again and used alternate fingerings.
This is a nice piece, I hope you enjoy it.
--Paul

Files have been moved to: http://www.tedgreene.com/fromstudents/Bach_Aria.asp

Reply with quote  #2 

Beautiful job Paul!  I can't wait to sneak a few hours away from the toddler this weekend and play through it!  Thank you so much.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Oops!  I found and corrected two small typos in the notation on p.2, third line, third measure:  the bass notes for the first two beats of the B minor were incorrectly entered as E and C#.  They have been corrected to B and D.
If you downloaded this file before this posting (10/2109 morning), then either make the changes by hand or simply download the new file for p.2.
Sorry about that.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #4 
Paul, do you know the source of this aria?  Is there a BWV number?

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi David,
Sorry, I don't.  All I know is what is on Ted's original sheet.  Perhaps someone here who is more knowledgeable about Bach will recognize this piece.  Ted's version is in the key of A, but he may have transposed it.  Barbara? 
--Paul

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Paul and everyone! 
Sorry to take so long in responding.  This aria can be found in Anna Magdelena's notebook in the key of Eb.  The title is Bist du bei mir which means (roughly) Be Thou but Near.  
This does not "belong" to another work.  Apparently Bach scholars have disputed whether it was even written by Bach, some say it was Gottfried Heinrich Stolzel. (Ted did not believe this, he found it sooo 'Bachian').    It was assigned BWV508, according to a compendium of J.S. Bach's works that Ted had with a long German title I will not include.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy, Barbara

Paul, thanks for the transcription.  This was a favorite of Ted's and subsequently mine.  Anytime Ted transcribed something for himself, you can be sure he absolutely loved it and wanted to study and play it. 

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Barbara.  I've added the additional info you provided to the top of p.1 of my compilation to include the alternate title and BWV number.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #8 
Great work, thank you again
Pedro

Reply with quote  #9 
Espero no molestar por escribir en el unico idioma que se, pero mas alla de los lenguajes de habla, aca hay un lenguaje de amor y de musica soberana, por ello solo queria agradecer la amabilidad de poner esta belleza a el sr Paul V.
Muchas Gracias
James

Reply with quote  #10 
Translation of Pedro's post: I hope it doesn't bother anyone that I'm writing in the only language I know, but beyond spoken languages, here's a language of love and supreme music, so I just wanted to thank Paul V. for kindly posting this beauty. Thank you very much.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for your kind words.  It's really Ted that deserves the praise...I'm just his secretary!
Yes, I think it's high time to do some more baroque pieces from Ted.  I've been focusing on the chord-melody material lately and forgot about the other stuff.  Stay tuned.....
--Paul

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE