PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 

**Please visit http://www.tedgreene.com/fromstudents/default.asp to download Lesson Sheets

Here's a compilation of Ted's grid boxes with standard notation for his arrangement of "There Will Never Be Another You."  His original sheet can be found in the "Lessons > Tunes" section of this website.  It was posted for the July 2008 Newsletter.

This song was written in 1942 and was originally in the key of Eb.  Of course us guitar players like keys that we can play open strings ;-) so Ted wrote this solo guitar arrangement in the key of E.  On his original handout Ted did not write in the chord names, just the letter name of the chord - the chord quality and color was left for the student to write.  I took the liberty to add the full chord name below the grid box in red ink.  (Please let me know if I got something wrong here.)  The chords just above the melody are the original basic changes.

You'll also notice that on page 1, 3rd measure from the end, I added a red dot for a melody note that Ted left out on the C#7 chord - perhaps on purpose.  Ignore it if you wish. Also, the chord name of the "B/E" chord in the eighth measure on page 2 was not included.  I'm not sure exactly what Ted intended here.  Ideas, anyone?

Here's a few links to YouTube for different renditions of this song:

(gypsy guitar duet)

(Oscar Perterson with Lorne Lofsky!)

(Ella Fitzgerald)

Hope you enjoy this arrangement and that this compilation is helpful.

--Paul

Reply with quote  #2 
Paul,

Thanks for posting this and the youtube examples really provide a context. I absolutely love this tune and Ted's arrangement is so special.

When I worked on this arrangement I listened to Chet Baker's version a lot. If you have not heard this version you are in for a treat.

Cheers,
Mark
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE