PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
SanchoPanza

Reply with quote  #16 

Really dig your shirt in the second picture.

Jblogan

Reply with quote  #17 
I was around Canoga Park in the days of the Tri-Center.  Graduated '69.  My best buddy at the time was a good friend of Ted's.  Whenever we go to Ted's house, he was always sitting in the bedroom playing. 

One time he was real excited with what he had just figured out.  Memory has faded over time but it was on the order of a finger picked version of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies!  Something absolutely amazing...  His wife Liz was quite a psychedelic artist & she did lots of concert posters of "the day".  I would see him with the Nomads every now & then.  I was not that into guitar at the time so didn't really understand what I was seeing.  Later on though, I got a copy of Chord Chemistry & learned about three pages worth in two years! 

There was also a guitar player around then named Rick Kernes.  He would play with the Union Jacks every now & then. 
I would be interested to know if that name rings a bell with anyone.

antpitta2

Reply with quote  #18 
I remember the days and people mentioned in this conversation quite well. I was in the Union Jacks just after graduating from Canoga Park High in 1966. I had met Dana and Randy Pearson at the tri center one night and asked if they needed another guitar player. John Hug was with them then, and I think he eventually went on to play in the Allman Brothers. You can see him on YouTube.

John Miller played bass, as he says in these notes, Dana sang, Randy was on drums, and Rick Kearns played guitar and I played the other one. We won a battle of the bands that the Nomads didn't enter one year at Chatsworth, I think it was, but it could have been at Taft. We played the tri-Center, all the local west valley high schools, Moose Lodges, the Teen Center, etc. It was a good time to be in a band.

Ted Greene was a new addition at the time in the local scene and he played for awhile in the Nomads, which had Butch Stoner, John Moore, Mike Gannon and Tom Dooley. Ted also taught at Dale Zdenik's Ernie Ball Guitars on Topanga Canyon in Canoga Park.

Anyway, Mike was approached by the Electric Prunes to tour Europe with Cream, and during the time he was gone he lost his student deferment and was compelled to join the Navy as a Swiftboat crewman. During his absence I was privileged to play well over my head in the Nomads a time or two.  Sadly, on Mike's last day in the Navy stationed in Hawaii, he suffered a fatal gunshot wound.  It should be mentioned here that John Hoenig, who became a studio drummer, and Bill Cuomo, who was and is a successful session keyboard play and producer, were both in the Nomads at various times.

Butch Stoner was a great singer and harmonica player, and you would have to have been there to hear the raw vibe those players put out to believe how good it was. Mike Weakley of the Electric Prunes became the manager of the Witches of Pendel, who were ultimately the Union Jacks with a few alterations, and destined for a short studio life and gigs in Hollywood dressed in long, black sheets. Dick Hargraves, a talented pianist and graphic artist also played for the Nomads over the years.
antpitta2

Reply with quote  #19 
I think some of this is coming back to me as I write. John Miller, of Miller Boats, was with us in the Union Jacks while John Moore was with the Nomads.  When Moore left the for reasons I don't recall, John Miller went over to the Nomads.

John Hoenig was the original drummer of the Nomads, but he left to concentrate on studio work which included working on the Sonny and Cher Show, gigs with the Lewis and Clark Expedition, etc.  I heard he turned down a chance to play with the Bee Gees, but you'd need to contact him about that. When he left, Joe Dooley took over drums, and the band most everybody knew was Dooley, Stoner, Miller, Gannon and Hargraves or Cuomo on keyboards.

That band was too good to forget, and I wish someone had bothered to record it. If anyone knows where any of these guys are now, I'd love to know.
J. Bock
antpitta2

Reply with quote  #20 
Hi John, Jay Bock here. A very long time.

I tried to get in touch with some of the people mentioned in these posts a couple of years ago, and could only find Bill Cuomo.  He's in Tennessee and has a successful studio there. I couldn't locate Butch and I found out it's hard to find Hoenig, but he still lives in Canoga Park.

This thread brings back a load of memories. Dooley seems to still have things going on, and I think the Electric Prunes have something like a revival in the works.

Any news from your end? I'd love to hear about it.
Jay
SanchoPanza

Reply with quote  #21 

Do you remember what tunes The Nomads usually played?

cardiffmoon

Reply with quote  #22 
This is Butch Stoner now.....his real name is Holmes Stoner....he is on Facebook
I only know this because I dated him back in the early 70's and he told me his real name.....

[24712_380107112087_3806639_n]
bullfrog

Reply with quote  #23 
Hey Sancho,

The Nomads played allot of Motown tunes, with a Stones kind of flavor. Butch could play the harp incredibly well. They also did allot of Chicago Blues several Butterfield Blues Band stuff. Man their versions of the Work Song and East/West smoked.
Ted could play circles around Bloomfield. He could do it exactly like Mike B but then he'd go off and do the same solo using chords for every note!
And man Butch could sing!
Their version of "You're No Good" was the best!
cardiffmoon

Reply with quote  #24 
So some of you are looking for Butch Stoner.  Well, his first name was actually Holmes Stoner which he hated thereby picking his stage name, Butch.  He is on Facebook as Holmes Stoner.  https://www.facebook.com/holmes.stoner1   Here you go
cardiffmoon

Reply with quote  #25 
https://www.facebook.com/holmes.stoner1
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE