PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #1 

As long as I have known Ted, he favored Moshay guitar picks.  They are made of nylon. They have this squared edge to them, where most picks are flat and thin, and have a hole punched through the center as a grip. He gave me one of these early on to experiment with.

In the September 1987 issue of Guitar Player, pages 98-99, features a gatefold poster titled "100 Pros' Picks."  It pictures Ted’s Moshay pick with an abbreviated note from the letter below.

Ted writes “Thanks for thinking of me, Jas. 

1)     I love the tone of these Moshay picks ... very warm on the neck pickup sound for Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, ES-345’s + others. 

2)      I also love the hole in the middle of the pick which helps keep it from slipping around for playing Freddie Green style or R&B rhythm styles.

3)     But, for a more biting, bluesy single string stuff, I’m crazy about the sound that results from all down strokes on a medium sized, medium thickness “regular” pick with tiny notches filed in the edge.  Gets that great “early” Jeff Beck tone …

In case this is relevant, just turn the blue pick around if you have trouble about having the store’s name on it for the photo.

Should be a fun article, Thanks again,

Ted Greene”

The store name, by the way, was Norm’s Rare Guitars.  Hmm! The pick on the poster actually looks green!  Maybe that’s my magazine ink is changing color with time?  Maybe I am going color-blind!

The only place I have seen these available are through J. Hale Music, possibly old stock.  I went to a number of music stores in the San Francisco area, over the weekend and did not see a single Moshay pick!

Happy Hunting!

Nick

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Nick,
I looked in our "pick jar" and there is only one of the picks you described. Ted certainly used it & you are certainly welcome to have it if that would please you.

Reply with quote  #3 
Interesting. I'll have to try one of those again. It's been years. I've never been a fan of nylon picks in general.

Here's a link to J Hale's page:
http://www.jhalemusic.com/pages/strings.html

Interstate music also sells Moshay but they seem to only sell the heavys:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=900002363&langId=-1

Reply with quote  #4 

Here's a closeup of Ted's Moshay. He must have had quite a supply because he was always able to find one when he wanted it. Ted was a fabulous rhythm player. He got this light, breathy, whistle from the edge of the pick. Maybe zing is a better word. He still had a strong feel but he could set the groove way back in the mix if he wanted too. He was very supportive of the vocalist or soloist. He was especially great at comping with a moving bass line. And the way he would get those horn stab accents, great stuff. It really sounded like two players.

Bob Bain said in a seminar that it takes a long time to become a good rhythm player. After hearing Ted comp, I see what he means. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE