PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
PaulV

Reply with quote  #16 
OK, got those 6's to be subscript, so they won't be mistaken for 6th chords.
I believe it is more than just the D6, but the E, G, and A as well, so I changed them to subscript too.

I also added a 7 to the B6/5 so it now reads B7 6/5 (with super-script and subscript on the 6/5). 
I'm not really into figured bass, so I kind of fluff over some of that.  I'm sure that if you said the 6/5 should have a 7th in it, then it is so.  Thanks for your help on this one, Mike.

Reply with quote  #17 
Well it's not that complicated. Basically it's all bout intervals above the Bass note:

For triads: a root position has no figured bass (diatonic thirds and fifiths don't get notated for triads), the first inversion has a 6 (because besides the 3rd, there's a 6th interval above the bass). the second inversion is written 6/4 (because there's a 6th and a 4th above the bass note).  
-So for triads the possibilities, (when they're diatonic and not suspended or altered in any way), are: root (no figured bass) 6 (first inversion), and 6/4 (second inversion): that's all.

When there's a 7th in the chord the inversions are noted    6/5, 4/3, and 4/2 (or just 2)  for the same reasons.

Basically it's all about intervals above the bass note.  Anything that's not diatonic will be noted too. Hope it was clear. There's more to it, but those are the basics, and just about all that Ted uses in his early papers.

Reply with quote  #18 
Thanks for the figured bass info.
Any more typos in the Embellishment pages?

Reply with quote  #19 
Gentlemen,
A new updated and corrected version of Ted's "Embellishment and Substitution" page has been uploaded in the Harmony and Theory section
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/harmony/Embellishment_and_Substitution_1974-07-09.pdf
The corrections are in the transcription pages (not Ted's original page, of course!)
Special thanks to "Kontiki" (Mike) for laboring over each line and deciphering Ted's very small writing and finding all my typos. (Sorry, guys!)
Please delete your old file and use this one instead.

Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks for all your work.

I am trying to relate this to my Dick Grove mind. Some of it is easy to see, other stuff I have to grasp since I never learned classical harmony.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE