PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering how ted would instruct students that came too him for lessons and were pick users. Did he have a method or suggest some studies for the guys that were switching from pick to fingers?...I don't remember anybody asking this question on the forum....Also, how did Ted, make the transition...from pick to fingers ?... 
James

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know the answers to your questions.

I do know that Ted did play with a pick when he did single note soloing.  Don't forget that he wrote two great books about that, too.  When I asked him about single note soloing in a lesson, he immediately got a pick and started filing it down with sandpaper.  Evidently, he liked his picks really, really smooth.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't know what Ted would have suggested, but a good place to start is the Giuliani 120 arpeggio studies Op.1   you can get a free pdf here: http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Giuliani-Arpeggios-No-1-20.pdf

in case you don't know:   P = thumb, I = Index, M = Middle finger, and A = Ring finger.    These etudes are standard fare for most people who learn classical guitar.   They give a pretty good overview on many arpeggio possibilities.  If you get bored playing C and G7  you can always  substitute any chords you like that cover the same amount of strings.

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok, just wondering if Ted recommended the classical fingering system or some other method to guys just learning to use the fingers..
James

Reply with quote  #5 

Ted played without nails, unlike most classical players.  He also used the right hand little finger, unlike many classical players.

In fact, you can look at any video of him playing and you can see that it's somewhat different than a classical player: he doesn't slant the guitar neck as much and his right hand comes in at an angle rather than nearly perpendicular to the strings, a la many classical players.  Traditionally, the classical player's knuckles are parallel to the strings, although for many excellent players this is not 100% true.  It's definitely not true in Ted's playing. However, his right wrist is naturally straight, which would be true of any good classical player.

So, no, he didn't use classical technique exactly.  But then, he wasn't playing traditional classical guitar, was he?

If you are transitioning from pick to fingers, let your right hand hang relaxed and loose.   Keep your wrist fairly straight.  Do not angle it to the left or right.  But it can gently curve down toward the guitar.  Just squeeze off 3-, 4-, and 5-note chords, getting comfortable grabbing different string sets.  Play a bunch of Ted chords.

Later you can work on arpeggios if you want.  The Giuliani 120 right hand exercises are practiced by nearly all serious classical guitarists.  There are also Albloniz right hand classical exercises that are also good but are much less well known.  But first just squeeze off a bunch of chords.  You want to mostly move the fingers and let the hand just hang, still and relaxed.

It's also good to understand the reasons behind technique to help you decide how you want to do things.

bmreeds

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks, good info....I never read where he talked much about his right hand finger style.....so I was wondering if he had discussed that topic with his students....I'm ok with the fingers, but not great....I could use some improvement, I'll try to concentrate on some of these classical exercises.... 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE