PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Greg

Reply with quote  #1 
Did anyone dicuss with Ted any strategies or ways to most efficiently memorize tunes?
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
This is what Ted suggested to me when I was trying to memorize pieces more quickly on the piano, as opposed to constant repetition of the entire piece & memorizing "by default". I'm sure this method would be just as effective for the guitar:
Ted suggested that I memorize ONE BAR AT A TIME. He said when you are able to play that one bar accurately, confidently and without looking at the music add the next bar and do the same, when you have those 2 bars memorized add the next one, etc. until you have gotten through the entire piece and voila! it's memorized!
Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
I took lessons with Ted on and off starting in the late 70's at Dale's. He really emphasized finding similarities between tunes. Ex; the "A" sections of A-Train and Ipenema are the same. 100's of tunes are 'rhythm changes'. And, as mentioned previously, one measure (or section) at a time. What's great is that the more tunes you memorize the easier it gets - you really see and hear the similarities.

Reply with quote  #4 

Great advice Barbara! 

I recently read a David Russell (classical guitarist) interview in an older music publication and he recommends what Ted suggested, but starting from the end of the tune and working backwards, since the ending rarely gets as much attention as the beginning.  

Ted always stressed memorizing the song analysis via roman numerals, and therefore you will memorize songs faster with the same structures (i.e. Ain't Misbehavin' = Makin' Whoopie).

Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStasinos

... recommends what Ted suggested, but starting from the end of the tune and working backwards

A tip I've found very useful is to memorize four-bar sections, starting with the last one and working backwards. That way (a) you're always working towards something you already know and (b) you avoid the common problem of knowing the end of the song less well than the beginning. After all, how you play the end is what decides whether the audience will clap!

-Keith
keithfre

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStasinos

Ted always stressed memorizing the song analysis via roman numerals, and therefore you will memorize songs faster with the same structures

The Roman numeral system gets complicated as soon as tunes start modulating.  I recently discovered a development of the system devised by Conrad Cork, called Lego Bricks, which I find is better geared to the harmonic structure of standards and jazz tunes. The book can be ordered from Conrad's site (just google). I have no financial interest, I'm just a satisifed customer/student!

-Keith
Greg

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the advice,

Does anyone know if Ted memorized the melody to chord realtionships such as if the chord was B7 and the melody note was D# you would think of it as the third.

Thanks

-Greg
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Greg,
Yes, yes, yes - Ted could tell you the name & function of ANY note within a chord or melody, such as D# is also Maj.7 of E, etc. & on and on. However if Ted saw a D# in the melody he wouldn't automatically think ONLY 3rd of B - he simultaneously think of all it's other functions. Depending on the key, tonality etc. D# can function in many ways.
Hope my explanation makes sense.

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Barbara,

I'm not quite clear on what you're saying but it sounds like you said, that he also knows the notes relationship to the key center? Also I have another question, when the chords would go out of the orginal key, lets say we're in Bb dominant and then the song goes B-7 E7, would he think up a half step, II V or would he think down a half step to the key of A then II V in A.

Thanks

-Greg Uhlmann
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Greg, I can't really answer that, it depends on the song. Here is something that might help you a little into the way Ted thought regarding chord structure.

Attached Images
jpeg Misty-Analysis.jpg (510.17 KB, 538 views)

YoungBlood

Reply with quote  #11 

Wow, thanks for that post Barbara. I'm going to get to learning that sheet right now! I'm on vacation, so I have plenty of time.  

Have any more, maybe "All The Things You Are" that I can learn too?

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Youngblood, Happy Vacation! Barbara

Attached Images
jpeg All_the_Things_You_Are.jpg (462.30 KB, 373 views)

YoungBlood

Reply with quote  #13 
Yikes!!!
Thank You Barbara!!!
Wow, that made my year...no kidding!
Not just my vacation, my whole year!
I've got some serious study to last me for this vacation...and beyond!

Reply with quote  #14 
Barbie, i just wanted to say, your filing system has really paid off. Youngblood asked for "All the Thingsā€¦" and you were able to get it online in a few hours. Bravo!

Reply with quote  #15 
It never ceases to amaze me just how great this forum is, and how incredible of a mind that Ted had. Thanks so much Barbara!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE