PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
seven

Reply with quote  #1 

I live on the east coast. 6 yrs ago i bought a gretsch-van eps 7-string guitar (2nd version) from guitarist Howard Alden. Howard told me & included in my receipt that he had bought this guitar from Ted Greene.  There was speculation on Howard's part that Ted may have gotten this guitar from George Van Eps. I'd really like to trace the  history & origin of this instrument. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!         Great site!
Seven

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi. My name is Jon Kurnick. I'm a friend of Howard Alden. I live in LA and did quite a bit of work from 70s to 2000- the guitar in question was an unbound neck 2nd model gretch sunburst with the Burns-truss rod adjustment located at the heel of the neck. I originally bought that guitar from Normans Rare Guitars in Reseda around 1979. A man named Cyrus Gaustad in Ventura refretted it immediately due to poor frets. I played it for about a year and then sold it to Ted when he remarked how much a different tuning w/xtra string might be fun to have. He kept it w/the proviso that when he grew tired of it, he'd sell it back to me. When Ted needed some dental work (around 1993?) I arranged for a friend named Bruce Gittleman who owned Guitarville in Sherman Oaks ( now in Denver, Colorado) to take it since I wasn't interested at the time. Bruce sold it to Howard subsequently when Howard wanted to start 7-stringing.
 I know that guitar had a great neck due to the abscense of plastic binding which takes up valuable string spacing. If you look close, you'll see the ebony strips added to either side of the fingerboard.-take care, Jon

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE