PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #1 

You are going to love this! 

Check out this pack of Ted Greene Custom Strings that came out, to my best guesstimate, in the late 70s due to the Dale Zdenek “DZ” logo and the Tele illustration matches the one Ted is holding in the picture on the cover of his Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing” books released in 1978. 

Note the Tele illustration suggests a Nashville Tele setup with a Strat pickup in the middle position.  The exceptions are being the humbucker neck pickup and if you look real close, all the added switches for mega bass, out-of phase, etc.

I am not sure how long Dale marketed these or in what varieties, but this particular “Old Tele Blues Set” gives the string gauges as follows: E – .011, B – .013, G – .017, D – .028, A – .038, E – .050.  A light top and heavy bottom.  I have known Ted to use even heavier strings such as E – .014, etc., but please keep in mind that the lighter

gauge on the top end was for “blues” bending.

Enjoy!

Nick

Reply with quote  #2 

Thanks Nick!  A real gem of history!  Very cool!

Reply with quote  #3 

Here is the first magazine ad for the Ted Greene guitar strings from December 1981. As you can see, there were 3 sets of different gauges.

jerome

Reply with quote  #4 
This is the first magazine ad for Ted's SOLO GUITAR LP from November 1977.
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #5 

Jerome,

This establishes the date of the strings more towards the early 80s, rather than the late 70s.  There's the big telephone cable sized strings on DEEP TELE!   You can be sure that Ted would have thought long and hard about selecting the right string gauges before committing to print and production.   

Can you tell me the magazines and issues where you found both ads?

Very cool ads!

Nick

Reply with quote  #6 

Nick,

I found the ad for Ted's LP in the November 1977 issue of GUITAR PLAYER page 108. The ad for the strings appeared in the December 1981 issue of GP page 72. In both cases, I've listed the earliest appearences of each product ad I could find.  As far as the strings are concerned, they may have been available locally in Los Angeles long before the ad made a bid for the national market. Perhaps Leon or Dan might remember.

Jerome

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #7 
I have all 3 of the string sets. The descriptions of each type are written on the back of each package. These are by Ted and are quite interesting and humerous. I'll try to scan the packs this week and upload them.

Reply with quote  #8 

Hey Dan,

I would love to know what was on the backs of those custom string packs.  If not a scan, maybe a qoute?  Thanks!

Nick

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
I finally figured out how to scan these string packs. As Nick says, it's really interesting that they actually used Ted's actual Telecaster for the design. In those years, it was very unusual to see Teles with added pickups and switches. This was an area where Ted was an inovator. The descriptions of the string sets is amusing and thoughtful. It was also uncommon for guitarists to tune "down" or tune to anything except standard guitar tuning. Check out his comments regarding your local weather for a chuckle. Ted_Greene,_Deep_Tele_set.JPGTed_Greene,_Jazz_Tele_set.JPGTed_Greene,_Old_Tele_set.JPG

Reply with quote  #10 

Hey Dan,

So that tabloid was incorrect, you were NOT abducted by aliens! 

This is very cool!  All the pack descriptions are here!  Ted's notes on "Deep Tele" are funny.

Big Thanks!

Nick

Reply with quote  #11 
Nick, the aliens were kind of mean, but they eventually agreed to release me if i gave them the recipe for apple pan dowdy.

Another interesting thing about these strings; all three sets have unwound (plain) 3rd strings.

Reply with quote  #12 
Obviously Ted could sound great using any string gauge. But does anyone know what string set (gauges) he typically used when playing chord-melody style as on his Solo Guitar recording?
MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #13 
Here's the gauge, I actually had Ted write it out for me ( in '77, while he was playing back recordings from the sessions during the lessons, trying to decide whether or not to 'keep' the takes...) and I used it myself for a long time, so I'm afraid that it's committed to memory.

.015  .018  .026p .036 .046 .058  for tuning down a minor 3rd.

He told me that he would sometimes use a .060 for low "C" tuning, but that it seemed to " Hit the Law of Diminishing Returns".

Reply with quote  #14 
Mark, were those the gauges Ted used for tuning down 3 half-steps (C#)? They 're heavier strings than the ones in his "Deep Tele" pack.

Reply with quote  #15 
Yes, definitely down a minor third. And yes, they were beasts!  I remember a passing joke, something about "transatlantic cable". I don't remember what gauge he used to tune down to Eb, as at the time I couldn't detect much difference, so I didn't even ask him, but I thought the Db tuning was wild!

Ted was constantly experimenting with the gauges...so what I remember was just a "snapshot" in time.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE