PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
TeleMan

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been doing a lot of research involving one of the least popular Les Paul incarnations, the "Les Paul Recording" model.

I had read on a few occasions that Ted was a proponent of this model.  I don't think it said he endorsed it officially, but I did read that he had tested it for Les or something along those lines.

This makes some sense to me as the LP recording was heavy on custom electronics (wich ted seemed to enjoy), had the small, low frets, and was obviously designed to deliver a sound similar to the one Ted's famous for.  On my LP Recording I can get very close to Ted's sound, all that's missing is the divine talent. 

But does anyone have any information on this?  In the pictures on the forum I have not seen any LP Recording models.  Is this just hallabaloo?  Did Ted even know Les at all?  it seems possible that the two would have shared some time together as I feel they were both innovators in their respective arts.  As well as very fond of tinkering with guitars to find a specific sound.
d0nba3r

Reply with quote  #2 
I also thought the Les Paul Recording was a pretty cool guitar, though way ahead of its time. With all of the home recording, as well as players going directly into the PA, I would think it would be a better seller if it were re-introduced now. Would it would have appealed to Ted? I kind of doubt it: the shorter Gibson scale and mahogany construction were definitely not attributes that Ted favored.

As an aside, does anyone really know what all of the knobs on the LP Recording model actually did? Regardless, it was a cool guitar that really never quite found an audience, and that was unfortunate.
TeleMan

Reply with quote  #3 
I actually do know what all those knobs do.  It took me about 3 months...and that was dilligent, hard work and research.  There are literally hundreds of tonal possibilities with these things.  And yes, they do all sound different. 

I owned two (and sold both).  Unfortunately the intricate electronics have not held up well at all on most of them.  And though the parts were way ahead of their time, it's impossible to find replacement parts for these.  Especially in electronics.  I have done some mild work in there and it's like a hornet's nest of wires and caps.  A tele looks like a grade-school show-and-tell comaritively.  ...Wich is why I went back to the tele. 
d0nba3r

Reply with quote  #4 

Teles are indeed very appealing guitars. Two of the three most influential guitarists on me have been Tele players: Ted and Danny Gatton. I just ordered a new G&L "ASAT" so I can join the "Tele" club. I've never been in a position to be able to custom order a guitar just how I want it, so this is very exciting. Now is the hard part - waiting for the guitar to arrive!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE