PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #1 
While Ted had done enough studies on harmony and chords.
Do he had any studies on the rhythmic aspect of music?
Like polyrhythms, imposition of different rhythmic patterns on music, counting etc.

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
YoungBlood

Reply with quote  #2 

In one of the chapters in Single Note Soloing Vol. 2 (yeah, the hard-if not impossible, volume to find), he has a couple of pages dedicated to polyrhythm's, syncopation, and displacement. Correlating with the title, it's aimed for the soloing and single note aspect of the guitar, not so much the rhythm playing side. But there is no reason you cannot take the principle's covered and apply them to chordal playing.

Reply with quote  #3 
Apparently,Ted had his favorites. B.
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/other/FavoriteRhythmicFiguresForMelodies_1981-07-11.pdf

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the continued posts by everyone, this stuff is just great!

Can highly recommend the Bellson book (reading text in 4/4) also MI's Encyclopedia of Reading Rhythms By Gary Hess. I think Leon has also written a book on Rhythm etc. but I just can't get it over here in England - shame as would be nice to add it to the collection!

Hope this helps a little,

Tris

Reply with quote  #5 
The book was called "time after time" as I recall - it had a fun airbrushed cover of  4 animated eighth notes  dancing on stage in front of a warner bros cartoon inspired audience (cows, pigs, dogs, etc. if you know what I mean.)  I loved that book. 

It gave me great pleasure to give Ted a serious laugh with it too.  When the book came out he got a copy and went through it.  I got a call late one night from him (rare in those days). He had a specific question on one horribly complex dotted 16th tied triple figure near the end of the book. "You got me!" he exclaimed. "The figure on page xxx is actually sounded like plain straight eighth notes, right?" 

We both laughed. I had concocted this horrible tied beast specifically for Ted's amusement and he nailed it.

If anyone has one of those books, I'd buy it, by the way.

-L
Stringfellow

Reply with quote  #6 

Cheers Leon. Interesting, as the cover I found somewhere on a website was different. More like the 'Sight to Sound' 'green' issue but blue/red - no cows or pigs anywhere! :-)

I take it that if you are interested in buying a copy they must be rare as hens teeth?! Shame.

Still, the Bellson books are great. Can you recommend any others?

Tris

Reply with quote  #7 

As a point of interest, Leon is also the author of a wonderful book of Larry Carlton transcriptions. Very well done indeed.

Attached Images
jpeg Carlton.jpg (65.41 KB, 48 views)

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the info.  When you see 4 color covers go to two color (plus the color of the paper) you know the publisher's accountant is at work reducing cost - probably the case here.

L
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow, Larry Carlton in an Aloha shirt. I had forgotten that you did that book, Leon. Good one!

About Ted and rhythms. In general, he was most interested in harmony and chords, chordal function, music theory, etc. That was his primary focus. But he did love a good groove. One time Ted played me the 45 record
WE GOT MORE SOUL by Dyke & The Blazers. He was trying to figure out the rhythm in the middle part. We listened to it over and over trying to analyze the rhythm, and were both stumped.

Reply with quote  #10 
I have the book "Just in Time" and it's been my favorite rhythm book for many years. I used to have the one with the old cover...the new one has a different cover. On the back the sku # is PMP00050. Great book!

Tom
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE