PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
andy brown
Reply with quote  #1 

I know Ted was fond of sounds that incorporated the middle pickup on his Tele, and I just wondered if Ted ever played a Strat. I know he mentions them on the "Sessions With The Stars" video, but I've never seem a photo of him with one.

Steven Brodie
Reply with quote  #2 
When I first started lessons with Ted, way back in the 70's I reported to him with a 62 or 63 Strat.  I know he played mine, then convinced me to trade it for a tele, which I did.  He said something like "nice guitar, but wrong tone"...
Then he handwrote some wiring diagrams for the tele I traded for, which I followed.  ie capacitors, humbucker at neck position ...
Bob
Reply with quote  #3 

Ted had an inexpensive Fernandes strat copy that he coaxed lots cool strat tones out of. I believe that there is a list of  guitars that Ted owned over the years and I'm sure that strats were well represented. It's a long list!

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #4 

Steve,

Do you still have the wiring diagram Ted gave you?  Do you think you can make this information available to us (scanned image) who also want to reproduce the electronics/sound in our Teles?  I hope so! 

I wonder how many other students and friends out there have wiring schematics from Ted to share?

I remember Ted telling me that Gibson had a known flaw in their wiring scheme and he knew how to correct that.  I think he tweaked my '60 Gibson ES-335 and it sounds good!  However, these days I am after the tone Ted or Ed Bickert was getting without shelling out the really big bucks for a '50s Tele.  I think it is possible! 

BTW, here's a shameless plug!  My 1960 Gibson ES-335 is now up for sale at California Vintage Guitar.  For anyone who is interested, please call Dan at (818) 789-8884.

Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
Nick

Ted used to write wiring diagrams on the back of lessons pages for me, and helped me with my 50's tele.  Unfortunatley, I lost the guitar and the diagrams in 93  Malibu fire.  BUT, the schematics were not too tough.  I could probably sketch them out if you want,  let me know.  The diagrams envolved adding filtering capacitors.  I don't remember the spec of the capacitors, but it merely envolved soldering one end to a positive on the volume pot, and toggle switch and the other to ground on the tone pot.  I will rack my brain scetch it out and scan it. I think I added 3 of them.  Ted also wanted me to cut the highest fret off the guitar to allow  further placement of the humbucker from the bridge.  I didn't trust my cutting skills enough.

Now, on my three solid  body guitars, I  added a 3rd party  6 position varitone.  Ted played one of  them, and liked the  tones.  The switch merely switches between capacitors.  My favorite one now is my nocaster, with the varitone, humbucker splitting on both, and phase switcher on both. 

Reply with quote  #6 

Steve,

Yes!  Please sketch it out, scan it and post it here.  Hopefully, others will do the same and then we can compare notes.  Something is better than nothing! 

Maybe we should start a new topic rather than posting it under "Stratocaster" for the likes of this, such as "Ted's Wiring Schematics" or something similar.

Thanks!

Nick

Reply with quote  #7 

I too would love to hear how he modded his tele's.  I wish the gear page had a little more detail about this.  I've got a tele that's just waiting to be modded like his.

SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #8 
I'll sketch, scan and post my diagram today, with some explanation.  Be warned, my artistry in the drawing will be elementary.

Reply with quote  #9 
OK, here is my crude drawing. The bottom pic shows the standard wiring of a tele.  The top pic shows how to wire in a 3 pos switch, which would allow for 2 capacitors..Or, you could use a 2 pos switch, one for each capacitor.  I have also included the site for the varitone switch I installed on mine.  I showed it to Ted, and he like the tones. That hookup is very easy(two wires), but for a tele, you will have to route some wood away..  I have also attached a photo of mine with the switch installed. The switches on mine are..1)Humbucker.splitter,2) out of phase , and
3)on /off switch for the bridge PU while the main switch is in neck position(very handy)

Let me know if there are any questions re: my diagram.
VARITONE..
http://www.bigdguitars.com/

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE