PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #1 
To Everyone,

If there is any special subject matter you would like to see in the LESSONS section, please feel free to post here and let us know for future reference.
The November material has already been determined.

Your input matters a lot. So please, feel free to post a request.

Also, if you were a student of Ted's and would like a copy of YOUR STUDENT FILE please email me through the website. If I have your file I will send a copy, but please be patient.

Thanks, Barbara

Reply with quote  #2 
 i would think there are there things in ted's files on topics which haven't been addressed at all......
the esoteric subjects.
these might be interesting reading.

Reply with quote  #3 
Barbara, it would be interesting to know if Ted did much work on musical exercises without the guitar in his hands - things such as building musicianship skills, conducting, limb coordination for feeling pulse more securely, visualisation, singing, solfa hand signs, gigging help etc.??

I posted some findings on these areas under 'Ear Training Methods' and hoped there would be some follow up by others - this has yet to happen. I know that there will be plenty of lesson material for you to post in upcoming months, yet this is an area that never seems to get covered in depth by magazines, tutors etc. I am certainly not bigging myself up in anyway, and will understand, if due to a lack of interest in these areas, it may not be covered.

Once again, thanks for a great website and to remind you that Ted continues to inspire everyday in my musical life - and I only met him during my teens through his books!

Many thanks,

Tris

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Barbara
Thanks so much for what you have already given
This material is very deep and requires much time to integrate into one's playing style.  I find that studying the lessons help spark off similar ideas to the material being presented.

For myself I really appreciate the Chord Study and Harmony lessons.  I really appreciate anything that helps me understand and use chords better.

Perhaps some more sheets on using bass lines would be helpful

Material for learners and some instruction on how to use Ted's material may attract newer players and people unfamiliar with this great resource.  It would help set up a lasting legacy.

Thanks very much for this work. It is a great resource.

Regards
Michael

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for the wealth of information and study material presented so far. If there are any sheets dealing with the following subjects I'd love to see them some month as a lesson.
1. The so-called Coltrane changes...single note and comping ideas
2. Rhythm changes...single note and comping ideas
3. Exercises to develop the right hand fingers for fingerstyle playing
4. Philosophical writings about music in general or essays that compare pieces across genres or time periods.

With much appreciation,
ted stafford

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks, all of you for some insightful input.
Michael brought up a good point, one I've pondered as a category, that of how to use Ted's material. I realized that if you were not a student of his or familiar with his books, application of many concepts might be quite elusive or confusing. We are going to add a section titled APPLICATION in the near future. This will encompass explanations and audio (obviously to get an idea of how something sounds!)

Ted Stafford, There are no exercises Ted wrote out for right hand development. To warm up, sometimes he would do arpeggios. I believe there are classical guitar books with exercises for that purpose. Also, unfortunately Ted did not do any philosophical writings, or essays on music. All his words all lost in discussions, or what ever my memory or some student's memory can possibly conjure accurately.

The good news: lots of comping ideas, rhythm changes, using bass lines & more ear training exercises & Yes! on Visualization, Tris!!!! (Ted constantly stressed this method & used it himself all the time)

Mike, there are many things in Ted's files not addressed yet, simply because they are sooo vast! His entire teachings would encompass more space than from here to the moon. However, Ted did not delve into esoterica, most musical concepts were of continuing interest to him, and presented many conundrums as they were! Nothing abstract here. (if that is what you mean)

This has really been helpful, hence, look for these topics to be covered in the future.
........... AND please, please, continue to make requests! Barbara

Reply with quote  #7 
May we have something on Voice leading?
Or maybe analysis on Bach's Chorale. We don't have much on Voice Leading yet, I suppose.

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #8 
Dear Koek,
You will find a Bach chorale analyzed by Ted in the REMEMBRANCES section under "A Funny and Wonderful Memory".
I'll try to post more (in a more appropriate place), however the book is old & fragile so I must be very careful. Barbara

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you, Barbara.
Another thing I figure that Ted might have study and we might be interested is Bill Evan's improvisation and harmony.
I believed that he and Lenny Breau explored Bill Evans extensively, I think he might have transcription, chord voicing or analysis of Bill?

Take care

Koek Wei Chew
Dan52Tele

Reply with quote  #10 
I agree, definitely some bill evans concepts for guitar would be hugely appreciated, i still stress that teds arrangements are the best source of learning which i love playing through all the time.

Love the site and i'm always checking every day for new topics.

Dan
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #11 
I just realised Spead and close voicing triads hadn't been discuss much, also double stops of various intervals.

There are much we can post, I could even think of altered tunings.

Koek Wei Chew
PaulV

Reply with quote  #12 
How about, "Everything you always wanted to know about diminished chords but were afraid to ask" ?
--Paul

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Paul,
Check out today's posts under Single Line....... but there is always more, so don't be afraid to ask. Ted LOVED using diminished chords, scales. In the right places it adds a very unique quality, aw... you knew that!! Barbara

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Barbara,
Did Ted chart out any modulation passages? I've found a few nice ones here and there on some of the charts, but I'ld love to see a bunch more.

Also on another subject, do you know if Ted kept detailed notes on his students and their progress? Sometimes there would be long gaps between our lessons and I was always astounded by how well he could remember the details of our visits. I'm not asking to see them or anything, just curious.

Anyways thankyou sooooo much for this site.

My best to you.
Keith   
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE