PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #16 
Check out Ron Eschete's video on you tube playing with his trio..Estate..beautiful...This guy should be well known, but he is not..
Thanks man for the cassette offer, don't even have a cassette player
anymore...Get some kid to get you hooked up on the internet, get a web
page and mp3's of your music..I don't know who you are or what your background is but it seems as far as music its extensive..Your not too old
to do it!.....you may really get a kick out of it.....
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #17 
Jeff and Charles,

Cool discussion.  You guys gave me several good ideas and books to look up.  Here's another idea for others seeking knowledge of solo guitar.  Look up Tommy Kay or Sid Jacobs and study with them.  Really, if you haven't heard these guys, you will be amazed. They are both incredible musician and could help excel anyones understanding and mastery of solo guitar.  The other guy is Dan Sawyer, but he doesn't normally teach and is so busy.  Really, don't call Dan, he'll be upset with me, but I just couldn't resist mentioning him.

William 
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #18 
WP, I know Sid's work, especially his Bill Evans stuff.  Unfortunately, I am just a hick living in Kansas (honestly, it is true).  I would KILL to have a teacher that is hip to the stuff I like.  Just doesn't happen here.  Believe me, I have blown through all of them. 

I am, for better or worse, on my own here.  That is why I consider this site and you all my teachers and am EXTREMELY grateful for all of the contributions.  I owe you all many, many beers or soy lattes. 
PaulV

Reply with quote  #19 
Hey Jeff, didn't Pat Metheny come from Missouri, with no good teachers around...out in the sticks learning on his own?  Not a bad model to follow....
--Paul

Reply with quote  #20 
Pat and Bird.  Not bad models at all!  They were lucky to have had lots of groups to play with and lots of clubs to play in.  I have actually studied with several of Pat's old running buddies.  The information they trasmitted has been invaluable!

To be honest, I feel very lucky to have had the chance to tap the brains of great players.  I have actually had lessons w/ some of my favorite players (Oz Noy, Steve Herberman, Bryan Baker, Chris Crocco).  Really not bad for a kid from southeast Missouri!!  I don't take any of it for granted.

But there is something magical in having a local teacher that really connects with you, that understands your goals, and really invests themselves into your musical life week in and week out.  It is hard to contain my jealousy that so many of you got to spend years w/ Ted!
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #21 
I live in hick south jersey..its the same deal...I run in to guys that only play in group settings and have given up music because they are tired of running
around trying to find people to play with...Good reason to consider solo...
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #22 
BM,

True.  I will say I have had amazing success in just emailing guys I admire and asking them for a one-off lesson on a specific topic.  Only one person out of the many I have emailed didn't respond (Adam Rogers....yep, naming names) and none of them ever said no. 

The format of the  lessons ranged from face to face as I was passing through town on business to swapping mp3's to over the phone to web-cam.  Just tossing it out there.  Necessity being the mother of invention, it is a good alternative to not having the level of instructor you need locally.
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #23 
Yeah, that's a good way to do it...As for teachers I do have a few in the area, or Phila, not out of the question at my location..So much info on the
web and very good printed material available these days..I've wondered why
I would seek out a teacher, the main reason would be, I guess, to critique
my playing and point out flaws...I think you just have to put in the time on
the guitar and spend less time reading forums!!...Oh well!.....
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #24 
"search your soul to make sure you are bieng honest with yourself and then peacefully accept the consequences of who you are, or find out how to elicit changes for the better in yourself or you life, changes that will help you live your dreams. keep the goals in mind, in your heart , and in your ears. It may take a long time, but good things will happen.....Very well said....I will put
Vincents book on future buy list....I'll look into Paul V.s entries as you
suggest..thanks for pointing that out...By the way drop 2/3 and drop 2 really
are the same cords the 2/3 has the base note the 2 has the first string the
high note...If you tune your guitar ..EADGCF...you will see this clearly...Many
players use a combination of these groups...plus I think Ted used a lot of altered triads...double notes..notes left out..He really got a beautiful and personal sound.I have not found anybody that sounds like him...Also, Charles,
back to Vincent for a minute, He has a web site with some videos of his playing with various people ..He does  "wine and roses" with this kid and he
is really good...check that out if you get access to high speed internet....Anybody who explains "how they play" is interesting to me...we
all imitate, we just have to find the right course for each one of us...I've watched a few John Stowell teaching videos and he goes right over my head.
Maybe not yours...On the other hand, Sid Jacobs can explain things that make sense to me...He has an old video on scales and modes and he explains
things in simple to grasp manner..I love the guys solo playing also...Thanks Charles for taking the time too point out things that have helped you understand what can be a complicated subject..Hey man! we're not
all Lawyers....Merry Christmas!...

bmreeds

Reply with quote  #25 
Well, that's interesting..you seemed to have done what we are all told we must do, copy the greats..I have not done this..but I have always noticed how people I listen too end up affecting my playing..which isn't that good to start with...That being said you must have developed a heck of an ear!....Having started working with teds cords I find myself looking at cords
more as intervals then forms..This is really liberating...and the sounds are
really interesting...I'm breaking away from standard 1357 or 137 type cords
to stuff he uses like 1515 or 1197...I like that sound...We sometimes think of
cords as formulas..and that locks us into set sounds...which can become booring really quickly..so this is just something I'm getting into...One other
thing that I've also learned recently is to go back and review even simple stuff like blues progressions and stuff you haven't looked at maybe in years.
There is so much to learn its easy to forget the fundamentals..
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE