PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
andybrown

Reply with quote  #1 

Does anyone know if Ted was into the vocal group Singers Unlimited and their fantastic arranger Gene Puerling? I just discovered their lush, gorgeous sound and somehow their harmonies remind me of Ted....

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #2 

I do remember after a lesson one day Ted asked me to come and listen to a recording of a vocal group of this calibre which he was really excited about, and we smiled at each other as we recognized a min 11 chord using a major 2nd interval inside the voicing...fairly common for us, but rather difficult for a vocal group! 

I don't really remember who it was, as I didn't recognize the name, but Ted was definitely hip to the vocal arrangers!

Reply with quote  #3 

Ted did know about them - several times over the years we spoke about them.  He was very complimentary.

-L

Bob

Reply with quote  #4 

Mike Campbell, the head of Musician Institute's vocal program, was one of Ted's closest friends. I vaguely remember a discussion that Mike and Ted had about the Hi Lo's. When it comes to Ted and vocalists Mike is the guy to ask. Hopefully he'll chime in.

I can tell you that Ted was a big fan of Take 6. He also loved Barbershop quartets. 

Info on Singers Unlimited's arranger. 

http://www.singers.com/arrangers/genepuerling.html

Check out how in-tune these guys,and gal, are!

http://www.singers.com/jazz/singersunlimited.html

Reply with quote  #5 
Ted did enjoy Singers Unlt., Take6 and one of his favorites: The Swingle Singers - who sang Bach pieces with a lite jazz feel. Wonderful.
Barbara

Reply with quote  #6 

Hi All,

Since I was a voice teacher in Hollywood , while I was studying with Ted, we would chat about singing and singing groups sometimes. Ted knew I was a big fan of the Hi Los and all the other great singing groups. He really like those Hi Li harmonies.

One week when I told him Yma Sumac was coming out of retirement to do a couple of shows in Hollywood and I had tickets and was going with a close friend flying in for her show, Ted was very interested in my report the last week, on what she sang etc.

I told him she still did that amazing flying vocal bird around the room thing, she was famous for in the 1950s. I asked her how she did it and she smiled and said, I have read your book, thanks for putting me in it. I laughed and asked her, did she really learn to fly her voice around in a secret temple in the jungle and she said yes.

Ted wanted to know if she told me what jungle. I told him, I asked her but she just said, its still there, if you can find it.

I asked Ted, did you study chord melody at a secret temple in the jungle and he said, yeah, the jungle in George Van Eps backyard.

Happy Guitars

MidiVox

MidiVox Voice to Midi Hardware
http://www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE