PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
James

Reply with quote  #16 
That makes a lot of sense, kontiki.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks James

And just to re-iterate what most of you probably know and expand upon what Pam was saying, don't forget that you can use pentatonic scales to get the altered ("outside") notes on a Dominant 7.
   for example you can play F# minor Pentatonic over a Bm7 (ii) chord and then move it up a half-step to G minor pentatonic over the E7 chord to get all the altered tones (G = #9, Bb = b5, C = #5, D = 7,  F = b9).
  So if you've got a killer run or lick in minor pentatonic, you can play it once in F#minor (if time allows) and then move it up a half step to G minor pentatonic over the E7. Or play half the lick in one pentatonic and complete it a half step up. This should also work "in theory" with the pentatonic chord scales though it's a little more tricky.

Reply with quote  #18 
Here's my table of superimpositions for anyone interested.

Attached Images
jpeg Superimposing_Pentatonics.jpg (379.56 KB, 28 views)

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #19 
Guys,
Let's Pin this thread.  This is about newsletters.  The more detailed music dialogues belong elsewhere in the forums.

Thanks

L
PaulV

Reply with quote  #20 
Perhaps a discussion on pentatonic scales and chords would be better served in the "Harmony & Theory" forum.  Just my 2 cents.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #21 
I like the idea of a forum topic for each month's newsletter.  We could just have a single forum thread named something like "September 2011 Newsletter Discussion."

For example, in the seminar video posted this month (Part 4) Ted talks about walking bass lines.  One of the off hand comments that really stuck with me is that he said "It's pretty much all chord tones and approach tones".  That stuck with me because I've been doing approach note walking bass for a long time and even did a quick video on it back in 2008.

But I never thought of using that technique with none root notes. (That just goes to show how easily it is to get locked into the idea of "this is how it's done")  I can't wait to go home and practice now.

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #22 
The forums are for everyone to do as they wish. I thought Barb's concern that "you can never find anything in the forums" deserved a boost but it was not my intention to create an issue.  My apologies to everyone. 

L
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE