PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wanted to let you all know that the September Newsletter is now ready. 
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

It's a very sad time here, missing Barbara so much.  It was her wish and driving desire that Ted's legacy be shared throughout the world via this website, and that it continue far into the future.
In that spirit it will continue. 
As the home page of the website says, "Ted Greene - The Legacy Lives On."

As you'll read in the Newsletter, you can place your remembrances of Barbara and condolences for her family & friends in the Forums (there's a thread in the General Topics, "Beloved Barbara" http://forums.tedgreene.com/post?id=5444285  ).

We've got two more clips of video footage of Ted's seminar at Boulevard Music in 2004 (parts 3 and 4), along with some pages on 4-Note Pentatonic Chord Scales, Expanded Diatonicism, and Ted's two arrangements of Polka Dots and Moonbeams (and my notation of both of them).

Enjoy
--Paul and the TedGreene.com team

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you, Leon and Paul.
jazzuki

Reply with quote  #3 

Same goes for me too-what you both do is greatly appreciated.

dsindel

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, with a very heavy heart it is safe to say the site continues and this was the hardest past few days working on the site and preparing the videos and wanting to pick up the phone and talk to Barbie and realizing I could not do so.

Normally at months end me and Barb would spend quite a lot of time getting the plan of action in order, what lessons to share, what video (if any) to prepare and general conversation. This is not easy!

Dan Sindel (your humble webmaster)
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you to everyone behind the scenes who continues Barbara's dream to present Ted and his music to the world.  I cannot think of a better tribute to Barbara.  I will really miss the personal insights and memories about Ted that she gave us from time to time.  They were priceless.

Reply with quote  #6 

Thank you all for what you do!! I did not know Barbara but I really enjoyed all of her insight into Ted and living with Ted. I will miss her very much... Thank you all for continuing Ted and Barbara's legacy.

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #7 

Regarding the new video…

Introducing Marc Blumenreich, alumni of Berklee School of Music, and the cameraman for Ted’s Boulevard Music Seminar video, dated 8-22-04.  Maybe you’ve met him at one of our Ted Greene Memorial picnics (Photo - front row center with one very cool blonde L5). 

I first met Marc through eBay.  We met at my post office box.  Our conversation quickly found the common denominator, Ted, and told me he was the only one there shooting video at this seminar.  Jazzed at the new discovery, I quickly made a DVD copy of it and mailed it to Barbara hoping it would finally make it up on this site…and here it is, the last installment.  I just want to say "Thanks Marc!" for donating this great video for our benefit.

Attached Images
jpeg 2nd_TGMP_Group_Photo_Cropped.JPG (97.26 KB, 36 views)

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #8 
Okay, for those of us who never made it to a picnic, who are the folks in the photo?

Reply with quote  #9 
Here's everyone's names.  Go half way down the page to my posting.
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post?id=1965502&trail=30&highlight=picnic

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks, Nick.  That's one pretty L5! 

Reply with quote  #11 
I regret to bring this up in this time of mourning, but the two new Harmony lessons for september were already on the site.

"Expanded Diatonicism, Multi-Tonal Major Key Colors (12/17/1989)"  already existed under the name:  "Multi-Tonal Major key colors" in the "chord studies" section

"Expanded Diatonicism - Introduction...."  existed as "Intro to Expanded Diatonicism" in the Harmony section

perhaps the new names and placements are better so maybe just removing the earlier ones would be in order, unless the moderators don't mind there being doubles.

Reply with quote  #12 
Mike,
Thanks for bringing that up.  The reason for the error is that Barbara kept track of all the lessons that have been posted, and sometimes she renamed the pages differently (or exactly as) the original page.  I'm in the process of getting my "master document" in order so that this doesn't occur again.  I'll see if we can fix this and remove the duplicate.
Nonetheless, I hope you like the pages on pentatonic chord scales and the arrangements of Polka Dots and Moonbeams.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #13 
Okay guys, I have made the change and nuked the old references to the "same" files.

Dan Sindel (your humble webmaster)
James

Reply with quote  #14 
Ted was definitely hip to superimposing pentatonic scales. That is, normally the scales or arpeggios we use to solo over a chord have the same root as the chord. This simplifies thinking. But Ted felt that in the case of pentatonic scales, the sounds of superimposing them, that is playing pentatonics from different roots than the chord, were so intriguing that he felt this a worthy approach to soloing. I remember discussing this with him in a lesson. I went home and made myself a chart superimposing all 12 pentatonic scales over a chord with a C root and seeing what chord tones arise.

Kind of interesting that Ted had issues with 7 note modal thinking, particularly relative rather than parallel thinking, yet was more welcoming to basically the same idea with pentatonics.

In his day, Larry Carlton was well known for using superimposed pentatonics in his soloing.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #15 
I think Ted was dismayed (especially as an educator) with how the term "modes" and modal education was mystifying a lot of people and (mis)leading  them down long and indirect pathways. From what i gather, he disliked the term "mode" because it introduces an unnecessary element (that of referencing a so-called master scale from which the scale you are playing at the moment is based on: this of course is unnecessary and ignores context which really is the key element in modal thinking). So he preferred the term "tonality". So, he wouldn't say dorian mode; he'd say dorian tonality. 
   As for pentatonic: I think he considered that pentatonic thinking and the pentatonic sound so ingrained in the average guitarist's head that it would simplify things rather than complicate. I mean, most guitarists can play a minor pentatonic scale in all or multiple positions. But most probably can't play a super-locrian scale even in one position. So to tell one of those guitarists that he/she has to superimpose a scale they can barely get through over a chord that's probably going by pretty quickly doesn't seem to lead to satisfactory results for anybody. But say "play that minor pentatonic over that chord" should involve less thinking and less effort.

just my 2 cents

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE