PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Poijklmnb

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone. :-)

I am new to the forum and was wondering if you could all please help me?

I have been playing the guitar for over a decade but am not really a jazz guitarist, not because I dislike it in anyway but it is just an area I have not properly explored. I am more of a blues/rock/metal/progressive rock kinda guy. :-)

However, one thing that I have really wanted to improve for some time is my understanding of which scales to play over which chords, etc. From what I've read it sounds like Mr.Greene's books are fantastic at this. 

I suppose my question is "Are Ted Greene's only suitable for jazz players, or are they suitable for players of all styles?"

For example, 2 of Mr.Greene's book have the title "Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing". However, the contents seems to be about which scales/arpeggios to play over different chord which I would have imaginde would be really helpful for players of ALL styles. But will the choices in Greene's books make your playing have a "jazz flavour" or would the "jazz guitar" part come more from HOW you played the scale detailed in the book?

Many thanks in advance. :-)

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Poijklmnb and welcome to the forums!  I am surely not the best suited to answer your question but....  I do think the theoretical  information gained from Ted's books would be applicable to any style.  A goodly part of each style is feel so I don't think you would "automatically" sound like a jazz player. 
Best to you. Barbara

Anyone else care to comment???

Reply with quote  #3 
I think Poijklmnb could certainly find enough suitable material in Ted's books to adapt to his own interests, particularly with regard to scales over chords in the two single note soloing books.  I do think that using some of the scales might make you sound more "jazzy"—e.g., the altered dominant scales—but I can't imagine why one would use them in blues/rock/metal-type music anyway.  I just don't think they would fit, but I could be mistaken.  But if one is using primarily pentatonic scales, surly filling them out with other notes (i.e., turning them into major or mixolydian scales) can only make your solos more interesting, not necessarily more jazzy.

Poijklmnb, can you summarize what you know now about soloing over chords, so the rest of us get an idea your current abilities?  For example, which scales do you know and use most often and with greatest facility?

Reply with quote  #4 
I would also add that there are 'non-Jazz' teaching materials on this site.  The info is at different levels and experience.  Ted was not primarily a 'jazz guitarist' (whatever that is) as you can probably tell from the forum topics etc. So, no fear there - the giant jazz dark star will not consume your spirit as you prowl around here. 

One of the keys to your comfort with sounds outside your main area is how comfortable you are with the music in that area.  If you don't know it and don't listen to it, you're in for some challenges.  If you're listening to it etc., then when you try some material (from anywhere) and you recognize and like it, then it can become part of your vocabulary. (Ramblings from a retired teacher). Anyway, WELCOME and dig in - you're in the right place.

Leon

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE