PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #1 
Ted brought this up at a seminar, and it may be in cord chemistry but I couldn't find it....Everybody seems to have their own method..from what I gathered from the seminar tape he used sequences
like I-III-VI-II-V...cycle 4 routes to learn a tune...Is this correct?....Is this how he remembered the changes?..Thanks.....
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #2 

Somebody posted a reply, I found the lession he pointed out...This forum sure is dead!....Everybody on vacation ,I guess.....

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #3 
Pfui!  This forum is anything but dead!  I prefer to think of it as quiet and thoughtful.

Reply with quote  #4 
To the question of how Ted memorized etc.  I think the answer is yes. 
And I think, if kept simple and straight forward it should be ok.  ("ii-V-iii-vii for the verse - ii-V up a 3rd for the bridge."). 
There is a caveat however:  what Ted meant when he was teaching (and what he taught) may not always be what HE was thinking.  If I look at joey's wedding tape I think that sometimes I see "Hmmm . . . a diet pepsi might be nice right now . . ." in the middle of some tunes. 

L
bmreeds

Reply with quote  #5 
Sorry about that Pam!, yeah, I did find the lession..its what I believe he was talking about in one of seminar tapes..Thanks for pointing that out...Leon,
Yep!, I was thinking the same thing watching the wedding tapes...One tune after another, seemed effortless...( I'll check out Jerry Coker).......
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Guys,
Attached are a few of Ted's pages about Roadmaps for songs.
Does this help?

Attached Images
jpeg Like_Someone_in_Love,_Ted_Greene_Road_Map.JPG (63.02 KB, 125 views)
jpeg Ted_Greene_Song_Roadmaps,_1963-07-09.JPG (962.57 KB, 127 views)
jpeg Understanding_Chord_Progressions,_part_2,_Ted_Greene,_1973-11-11.JPG (975.54 KB, 109 views)

bmreeds

Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks Paul...How did he use these sheets?....For review before playing a tune he may not completely remember?...or teaching, or both?...

kontiki

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
 If I look at joey's wedding tape I think that sometimes I see "Hmmm . . . a diet pepsi might be nice right now . . ." in the middle of some tunes.

that's a riot!!!  but i thought Ted was a Coke man 

Reply with quote  #9 

Thinking of road maps-you guys that had lessons fom TG-Did Ted write out blues progressions (other than the one's in G and Bb)? I often watch the Youtube sequence when he accompanies Cathy Segal Garcia singing "Kansas City Blues" plus the others he did at various guitar shops.Does anyone have any of these please? Peter.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Peter,
Is this helpful?
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/blues/ModernJazz-BluesProgressions_1977-08-08.pdf
I don't think there's anything written up for Kansas City Blues or anything from the video you mentioned.

Reply with quote  #11 

Thanks for the prompt reply Paul-this will be of great help-its frustrating watching TG right in the middle of a blues sequence when the bends down to adjust his amp while keeping a few bass notes going then carry's on from where he left off(to mild applause) as if nothing had happened! That was his genius-my own ineptitude in trying to work his progressions causes the frustration...Ah well some are born to it-others have to toil....P.

cperron

Reply with quote  #12 

Paul, Is there other pages to the the Understanding Chord Progesssions Part 2 you posted above? I found the Beatles examples very useful due to the familiarity of these. I'm sure that was Ted's intent and am curious about other parts of this particular lesson he had. Thanks in advance.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi cperron,
Ted made several road-map pages.  I'll take a look and see what I can put together.
If there is sufficient interest in this I could post a bunch of them in the Teachings section for March.  Yes?

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Paul. That is a great idea.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE