PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #1 
A while ago, I read on a newsgroup that Ted used to have a guitar that sounded like a rhodes, I wondered if anyone here still have any memory of that guitar?
And wondered if I can have info of the mod he performed on that guitar?

Koek Wei Chew
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Wckoek.

Actually Ted had the capability to make most of his guitars sound like a Rhodes (I think it also had something to do with the amp settings too). However, I do not know of any specific guitar as such. Perhaps someone else does?

Reply with quote  #3 
I agree with Barbara about how Ted could get his sound from just about any guitar. The "rhodes sound" was definitely in Ted's fingers and ears. But using low tuned guitars with heavier strings, neck vibrato, Harp harmonics, pickup combinations that yielded bell like tones and warm tube amps all contributed. (the use of all of these external things originated, I think in Ted's ears/mind) I think the main aspect of the piano like sound was that Ted played so beautifully clean with both hands and seamed to draw the notes out with his right hand rather than just plucking. Almost as if he reached in and pulled the notes out. Also the way he could hold some voices and move others is a huge factor, something that as guitarist we can be a bit oblivious of. One of the biggest lessons I learned (am still learning) from Ted is the way we can control the sound of the note as we bring it into existence as well as what we do to it after it is brought into existence with sustain and various vibratos etc. Every day I thank Ted for his sound because it allows us to hear what is possible if we pay attention.
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #4 

I wonder if the fact that he used a leslie cabinet may have contributed as well?  You can hear it swirling on his solo recording at various times.  Not quite a rhodes like you are referring to, but it is in the neighborhood.  I would love to have a legit leslie, but they are kind of pricey....

TLerch

Reply with quote  #5 
The Leslie is definitely a cool sound. I have found that the Eventide Mod Factor pedal has a very impressive Leslie sound that ramps up and down like a real leslie. Not a bad way to go and not nearly as hard to lug around : ) I have also seen ads for a Leslie rotating speaker newly available. Has anyone heard one or played thru one yet?
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #6 
I think it was Mark Levy who mention that.
Here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/jazz_guitar/message/78226

Due to practicality, I don't think detuning guitars would be a viable option in my case. I wondered if anyone know that Ted had a particularly favoured mod on his Tele?

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #7 
I just sold my leslie to Norms, and was in there the other day, and they still have it if you are looking for one.  It's the same size Ted used.  I now use a "rotosphere" pedal.  Much easier to carry around. 

Reply with quote  #8 
Ed Bickert, another Telecaster master, has a very Rhodes-like sound, especially on chords in the high range. His work with Paul Desmond really bring out that tone, and his ability to play close voicings also, like Ted, gives a pianistic density, lending to the Rhodes effect.
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
+1 on Ed Bickert being a wonderful jazz guitarist and comp-er supreme. He plays really cool and unusual voicings behind Desmond and also a few different jazz trombonists; Frank Rosolino and Rob McConnell.

some YouTube clips;

(humbucker in a tele)

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE