PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
jerome
Reply with quote  #1 

I thought I would start a new topic where we could post info on new CDs, DVDs and books. There have been some posts in other threads but I thought it might be advantageous to place them under one roof.

I just purchased a DVD entitled Norman Granz Jazz in Montreux presents JoePass '75. The DVD presents Joe on two consecutive nights in July 1975. The picture quality is excellent. The sound is very good, although there are a few spots where Joe distorts or rattles the springs in the reverb. It's a great glimpse of Joe at the top of his form playing solo guitar with his fingers & with a pick. Best of all it only cost $9.00.

jerome

guitbeef

Reply with quote  #2 
I would recommend (although it's a documentary and not an instructional video) "The Genius Of Lenny Breau", available from Guitarchives. Coincidentally, Ted is one of many interviewed on camera.
The Pass video sounds like a great find- I'll be picking that one up for sure.
jerome

Reply with quote  #3 

If that's the documentary that Lenny's daughter produced I've seen it and it's great. Lots of good footage of Lenny playing. Ted shows up a couple of times commenting on LB.

jerome

Reply with quote  #4 

In a couple of threads we've discussed picking without anchoring the pinkie and the importance of arpeggios as improvising tools. So, if anyone is interested in the floating right hand picking style and the horizontal approach to triad arpeggios as practiced by Django Reinhardt (as well as most modern gypsy swing players) John Jorgenson has released a 3 volume instructional Book/DVD/CD set on Gypsy Jazz Guitar. Also there is a great performance DVD entitled ROMANE:Live in Nashville that has great right and left hand shots. All are available from Mel Bay.

Jerome 

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #5 

"The Genius of Lenny Breau" video is long out of print and very difficult to find.  I went to the Guitarchives store page, just to double check, and it is not there!  

But, this will make you smile!  I went to Spazio last Tuesday and learned that  John Pisano recently released a two CD set titled "Guitar Night" with a very cool solo guitar arrangement of "When Sunny Gets Blue" played by Ted.   

Nick

Reply with quote  #6 

Speaking of the Genius of Lenny Breau documentary.... Ted told Genil Castro that he dedicated over two hours worth of footage for the documentary, discussing Lenny and explaining his playing style, and he was very disappointed that only a few second of his interview was actually included. What a shame! I wonder whether that unreleased footage is or will ever become available, for both Lenny and Ted fans and everyone else.

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #7 
I want to recommend Andy Brown's latest CD "Trio and Solo". Half of it is solo guitar and the other half with a bass player and drummer. It's just wonderful, melodic jazz guitar, played with intelligence and great tone.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/andybrownmusic

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello Folks,

Here's a video of Martin Taylor & Martin Taylor playing Duke Ellington's Drop Me Off in Harlem.

Enjoy,
Jerome
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
That's cool.

this genetic cloning has really gotten out of hand.

Reply with quote  #10 
Chord Chemisty, Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2, Modern Chord Progressions, all by Ted. George Van Eps' books Harmonic Mechanisms For Guitar Volumes 1, 2, and 3. Van Eps has a few other books, but these are the best by far, although there is one very thin book, I forget what it's called that is incredible.

The majority of The Genius of Lenny Breau was recently put up on YouTube, quite a bit is still missing, or was taken off, but it's a start.

Joe Beck has a great guitar video, although I believe it's out of print. I believe it's called Jazz Guitar Workout, something to that effect. He talks a lot about keeping the melody the same, and changing the chords/harmony.

If you're looking for other inspiring Jazz videos though, and not lessons. Check out Thelonious Monk's Straight No Chaser, I know it's available, even Netflix has it. I'd be glad to know if anyone knew who Ted listened to, who weren't guitar players.

Sundawggy

Reply with quote  #11 
I bought a copy on vhs of the genius of Lenny Breau...
I transferred it to DVD.I'm not suggesting I would make copies
for someone who truly wants it.Well maybe w some persuasion
?????
Btw ..I have several excellent Lenny audio recordings that are to my knowledge
completely unreleased...one of them i call "Live at Two Dollar Bills"
(in hollywood) which just smokes.the other a seminar at GIT.
Sundawggy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE