PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
bobdullam

Reply with quote  #1 
Have not seen any ref. to that on youtube, or on the site. would love to hear his take on giant steps(coltrane).

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Bob,
I haven't run across anything in Ted's archive on Giant Steps....perhaps he discussed it in a private lesson or a seminar, but I don't believe there's anything on paper.
Happy Holidays!

Reply with quote  #3 
As you know, Giant Steps moves through key areas by major thirds.  Hence, the name: half steps, whole steps, one and half steps, "giant" steps ( = major thirds).

I remember discussing Giant Steps with Ted in a lesson and he really liked the sound of moving chord progressions through different keys, modulating by thirds.  He liked to mix major third and minor third modulations according to his taste.

Many of Ted's lesson pages encourage you to play the examples in all keys.  The order of the keys that first springs to mind is what he called "back cycling" or "the cycle of fourths," by which he meant the normal traversal of the circle of fifths in a counter clockwise direction.  But when he tired of this pattern, he liked to move through keys a third away, and in this you can see the influence of Giant Steps.  So sometimes you can look at some of his lesson sheets and see this kind of practice of playing the same progressions in new keys a third away.  On some sheets, he suggests a sequence of keys and quite often these move by thirds.

I definitely remember playing a simple chord melody version of Giant Steps using V-2 chords. Not sure how much I did this under my own initiative or with encouragement by Ted.

Certainly Ted's forte was not playing rapid single note solos with bebop lines but there is no question that he had great knowledge of the style and deep interest in its harmonic subtleties.
Anders

Reply with quote  #4 
I found this by accident today when I looked at some old videos of Ted.
Starting at 7:50

Deparko

Reply with quote  #5 
That is awesome..is Ted using "long meter"?
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice find, I like when he gets into the bossa nova feel. [wink]

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE