PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
HermetoPascoal

Reply with quote  #1 
Could someone PLEASE let me know what recording is used to introduce this video:

It's the audio that plays between 0:00 - 0:22, I have been obsessing over it for a while now and just can't seem to find it anywhere, if anybody out there has the answer I'd be forever grateful, thank you very much! 

Greetings from the south coast of England!
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #2 
I could be totally off, but I thought all of those pre-video musical clips were improvisations that Ted recorded for Barbara.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Dan Sindel prepared those YouTube videos, so I asked him where the intro music came from. Here is his response:

"Not sure of the music exactly.  I pulled it from one of the many CD’s Barb gave me.  I think it was from a special evening where Ted was playing some Baroque just for her over at her house, and Ted recorded it on cassette.
I can’t track it down specifically as there are a few of these special CD’s in my collection."

I'll try to hunt through some of the CD's that I have in the coming weeks, but don't hold your breath...it's gonna take some time.  But you should know that it certainly is an improvisation.
I'm hoping that we'll be able to post all of those CD's in the coming....months? years?  As we get to it.  (My goodness, there is a lot of material to post!)

Reply with quote  #4 
Actually Hermeto Pascoal? I obsessed over this record when I was in high school ... http://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Mass-Expanded/dp/B001A3CBRQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1352769944&sr=1-2&keywords=hermeto+pascoal

Anyway, no idea about the TG baroque example though I'd agree with the other posters that it's an improvisation.

Reply with quote  #5 
I would call it Ted improvising in neo-Renaissance because of the use of bVII modal type progression which is more characteristic of the Renaissance than the Baroque.  Plus it sounds Renaissancy.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #6 
I hear it at rather as a minor v(7).  Of course bVII and minor v are very similar, and together they give you v-7 and both give you the characteristic mixolydian note (b7).   In this case, this sequence is in descending minor thirds:

Eb  Bbm(7)
C    Gm(7)
A    Em(7)
and he might have continued the sequence to go around the octave and end up where he began.

As well as sounding somewhat Renaissancy as James says, it sounds also, to my ears, as being Spanish classical: Turina, de Falla, Rodrigo, Ravel (i know he's French)  etc. especially the sequence descending in minor thirds. and especially Ted's articulation in this sample, sounds like he's going for a Spanish vibe.

just my 2 cents.

Reply with quote  #7 
It also reminds me of certain 70s folk rock sounds like Steeleye Span and John Renbourn that were influenced by early music.  That heavy reverb sound.   It's cool and fairly unique for a Ted recording.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #8 
this may also have been one of his 'tests' of an amp or pickup setting, which he also did at Barbs in later years.  Just to drive you over the edge, in early years he tuned some of his gibsons UP (the 355 is the one I remember).  Up as in 'up a minor third,' to get what he liked to think of as a 'harpsichord' effect. (often done in conjunction with some of the wiring tricks he was investigating.)  Not recommended, by the by, I'm just reporting it.  The guages were much lighter to accomodate it all. He seemed to experiment with it, then move on and not return to that sound.  I don't ever remember hearing it after the 70's.  Anybody else recall more about the harpsichord era?

Leon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE