PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
James

Reply with quote  #31 
I've now spent about an hour doing internet research on Lyle Spud Murphy's Equal Interval System.  The official site is controlled by Murphy's daughter and is completely proprietary.  You can only pay quite a bit of money and study with teachers.  For years, if you like.  There's no other way to learn about it.  There's something like 14 rules and a wheel for counterpoint.  But if you want to know the details, you have to cough up the bucks for lessons.  The lessons have you compose and/or arrange and give you feedback.  I listened to some musical examples by Murphy and by teachers at the site.  I liked some of the music and couldn't stand some.

Sometimes it amazes me that, in this internet age, there are still trade secrets that are kept.  You'd think that somebody somewhere would blurt something out.  But lawsuits, non-disclosure agreements, and so on keep people in check and keep proprietary info under wraps.

A lot of people are teased by not having info readily available and relent and shell out money to solve the mystery.  But I don't care.  I don't care what famous people used the Equal Interval System.  I don't care if Ted studied it.  I have wasted an hour on it and I am done.  You may not be.  Have fun.
BigMickey

Reply with quote  #32 
Check out Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, based on his dividing octaves - sometimes up to 12 - into equal intervals - and the associated formulae for harmonizing those.  I think you will begin to catch the gist of EIS.  There are PDFs out there of the Slonimsky doc.  Read the intro and then check out the sections on Autochordal Harmonization, Harmonization in Major Triads (where interval between soprano and bass is formulaic - shades of EIS!) and Harmonization Using Master Chords (specifically 7th chords with omitted 5ths, in specific patterns).  
James

Reply with quote  #33 
I have read and played some of Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns.  I also discussed the book with Ted at least once in a lesson.

Why do you think it has anything to do with Lyle Spud Murphy's Equal Interval System?  Have you personally studied with official EIS teachers?  Do you know the details of EIS?

PaulV

Reply with quote  #34 
We will attempt to post all of Ted's sheets relating to the EIS Murphy System next month (God willing).  Dan Sawyer may also chime in, since he studied privately with Spud, and understands the system. And he may tell us his conversations about the system with Ted. Stay tuned....

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I have read and played some of Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns.  I also discussed the book with Ted at least once in a lesson.

Why do you think it has anything to do with Lyle Spud Murphy's Equal Interval System?  Have you personally studied with official EIS teachers?  Do you know the details of EIS?

While studying at Berklee many years ago I had access to the EIS materials.  I threw Slonimsky out there as a tease - notice i said "to get the gist."  More specifically, I think EIS is a repackaging of post-tonal theory with its pitch class sets and set classes, and related compositional techniques regarding transposition, inversion, retrograde, etc.   
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE