PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
andybrown

Reply with quote  #1 

Does any one know why Ted seemed to really enjoy playing/teaching while siiting on the floor? Just curious...thanks!

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Andy,
Well, all the sitar players in India (and elsewhere) play sitting on the floor.  It's very comfortable once you work out the leg positions.  Perhaps in his previous life Ted had lived in India and played sitar.  Maybe he felt a frustration of only playing melody lines and had a strong desire to fully explore harmony in his next life - hence, his deep interest in harmony.
Just a fanciful musing....certainly can't verify any of it....but not outside the realm of possibilities  :-)
--Paul

Reply with quote  #3 
may have had something to do with having easier access to the floor then chairs with stuff on them, and being able to spread out papers.  I don't think there were any 'cosmic' reasons - just practicality.

L
andybrown

Reply with quote  #4 

Yeah, I was practicing today and somehow sitting on the floor seemed much more comfortable than hunching over my guitar while sitting on a chair. I just wondered if Ted ever spoke about his floor preference, since it seems pretty unique to him. Plus I'm still so amazed that I can post a question about Ted Greene and people who knew him for years can give me insight into his ways. Amazing...

WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #5 

Children prefer the floor.  I spent a great part of my adult life hanging out on the floor with Ted.  It surly would have been too adult to sit on furniture.  Additionally, I know that Leon mentioned it above, but if you've never been to Ted's place then there might appear be some mystery to the floor deal.  But really where else could you sit?  It would have been too precarious to sit on stacks of books, CD's, albums, magazines, guitar parts, or newspapers, even though there were amps, tv's, guitars, and possibly a chair under it all.  It was sacred man; you couldn't move that stuff.  So, it would only take Ted a short time to clear a space on the floor.  You could always squeeze into a tight spot surrounded by the displaced pens, colored markers, papers, money, mail, letters, chord sheets, guitar parts and newly arrived paper bags that hadn't found a permanent place.  Pure joy, heaven.

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #6 
How and where Ted sat was generally contingent on where he was and what he was doing.
Ted preferred sitting on the floor many times, because it was less confining.  He could move about, shift the position of his guitar, and not be concerned if the arms of a chair were in his way.  Also he did strew papers about in front of him and needed room for them.  As William mentioned in the above post, there was little room to sit anywhere else in the apartment.
However, many times he would sit on my couch and play, comfortably unfettered.  He could put papers on the coffee table, or the on couch if he needed to, or simply just relax and play.  There he would be in the direct stream of the air conditioner, which he loved and also near the TV, which he also loved. 
So.....  how, where and why he sat depended on many factors. 

But, he did develop a "sitting position" (a half lotus?) that he found very comfortable and balanced for sitting on the floor.   It took him a while to learn to be comfortable sitting this way, but since he found practical, it was worth the self discipline to endure the initial discomfort.

*****To digress - yesterday I posted the 1980 hand written (unedited) Guitar Player article under "Wes Article" - but it's not that, in case you want to read it.  It will be moved soon - accordingly.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for all the great replies.

I've heard Ted and "TV" mentioned together a lot. Did he ever play/practice with the TV on? What did he like to watch?

I've had some great playing sessions with the Cubs on in the background....

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Andy,  Yes, Ted loved to watch TV and did practice with it on, but if I continue to answer all these questions there will be less and less to amuse you in the book.   It's so close now - hopefully before the end of the year.   Barbara

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Barbara!

I'm looking forward to the end of the year....

Take care,

Andy

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE