PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
andybrown

Reply with quote  #1 

I was wondering how long Ted focused on solo playing. Did he at any time play in a group, like a trio with bass and drums or duo with a horn?

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Greetings Andy,
Ted played with various bands on & off through 1970. He actually began focusing on solo guitar around 1968, first working on Bach pieces and his own classical compositions then subsequently studied the standards and slowly began working out arrangements for solo playing.

I have one recording of Ted with a trio (bass & drums) apparently made for use in a Disney movie called The Dumplings (or something like that). It was never used.
That's the only time he worked with a trio.
Hopefully that recording can be made available to everyone in the near future.

So that would be about 35 years. Right?

Reply with quote  #3 
I would so dig hearing Ted play single note lines in a trio setting, jeez that would be awesome! I have been studying his SNS Vol.1 religiously, now that fall semester is over, and god its awesome but you gotta put alot of work into it. Super steep learning curve if you only know how to read music in the first position, I mean you could figure out the licks with the fingering numbers but the process would move along alot faster with the former. Anyway it would be great to hear Teds single note chops. Thanks

Reply with quote  #4 

If you want to hear Ted playing some single note lines, you could try the Ted Greene Remembered CD. On the duet with John Pisano he does some single note improvising. Not surprisingly it sounds incredible, fairly bluesy, and his slurring is impeccable. That recording and a few bars of "Just Friends" from Solo Guitar should give you a little bit of a taste of his single note capabilities. 

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the time line Barbara. Wow, thirty five years! There are certain players like Ted (George Van Eps, Art Tatum) who seem to be most at home playing solo, but they all sound great with groups too.

It does get lonely sometimes playing alone, but the freedom it allowed someone with the harmonic creativity of Ted is priceless.
ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah those few bars in "Just Friends" was like a tease man.

Reply with quote  #7 
That little improv was made up in the studio - Ted had to work on where to put the pick before and after it.  It started in his mouth and ended up on his knee after the solo, as there was no splice.  The pic was a small 'jazz pick' tortoise shell thing - but he didn't seem to be too caught up with it as a special pick or anything.  He played it once on a break, and I jumped up and said 'do that!!!!' - so he said ok once he worked out the pick from mouth to hand to knee thing.

L
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE