PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
runnrdad

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum and site.  I've been a lurker for a few months, but hearing Ted's music and reading all of your posts have caused me to begin to take guitar lessons (at an advanced age)!  I've purchased his album and just received Chord Chemistry, which I'm just beginning to look at.

I encourage all lurkers to join and support the site; I just made a donation myself.  I have gotten many hours of enjoyment from the site and the lessons and videos, so I feel an obligation to support the work of all of you who are trying to keep Ted's memory and playing alive.  For my part, when I direct a friend to Ted's youtube videos, they are always absolutely floored by what they hear.

I just wonder how Ted would have started out a BRAND NEW student, because I haven't found much yet I understand well, but I hope to. 

Lastly, I think it is vitally important that Ted's many lessons and writings be cataloged and put into book form.  Years from now--decades from now--I really believe Ted's guitar and music insights will be viewed in a manner not unlike the way he viewed Bach.  I think he is that important.  Just my humble opinion. 

Best to all of my fellow Ted Greene fans!
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear runnrdad,
Welcome to the forums and thank you so much for your kind words.  My suggestion for a beginning student would be The Five Main Areas.  This lesson can be found under Lessons in the Harmony category on the "actual" site (TedGreene.com) 

I have already cataloged all the lessons and writings (it took me over two years!) Everything is now on several DVD's.  Eventually they will be put into a book format and disseminated somehow. I'm not sure yet. 

I also believe Ted's work is that important!!!  Ted, I'm sure would be humbled by the comparison to his hero, J.S. Bach.   

Best to you!  Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
Barbara,

Thanks for the nice welcome.  I did copy the "Five Areas" page and I took it to my teacher.  I asked him to explain it to me and told him I wanted to learn it.  He replied, "you want me to teach you something from the 70s?!!!"  He told me to just follow his lesson plans.

I'm looking for a new teacher.

BTW, I saw this video for the G.E. Smith Telecaster on youtube, and he makes a remark about how versatile it can be, and that he saw a fellow playing jazz on his.  I am CONVINCED that he was refrerring to Ted playing Autumn Leaves at the Musician's Institute:

Ted's video was posted on youtube in late 2006, and Smith's video was put out not much later.  One of its features is the bridge pickup put into the wood.  I think Fender loved Ted's sound so much they incorporated that into the Smith Signature tele.  Now they should go the whole way and make a Ted Greene Signature Tele! 

rogerinphilly

Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarafranklin
My suggestion for a beginning student would be The Five Main Areas.  This lesson can be found under Lessons in the Harmony category on the "actual" site (TedGreene.com) 

Barbara...
Thank you for pointing me to this file.  I have been diligently working my way through Single Note Soloing vol I for about 10 months now and I often wondered where Ted was coming from concerning the "Areas".  This file really helps me to understand much better what I should be doing as I work through the book.

Take care!
Roger
jdykerman

Reply with quote  #5 
That is fantastic Barbara!  I can't wait to see it.

Reply with quote  #6 
GE smith makes comments about leo fender and the lap steel on the clip mentioned above.  He also plays it and then the tele (ck it out)

For those who don't know, Ted was into the pickups from lap steel instruments, from way back. (He didn't play the instruments as far as I know - just liked the pups).  They were the early broadcaster pickups (in my opinion only). But Ted did collect and use those pickups over the years (more often in 70s and 80s then later if I recall correctly).  He did have a lap steel stored at the time he passed, although the pup was long gone out of it.

I think if you look at the string spacing of the lap steel, (wider then normal guitar), the angle of the pup, and the resulting broadcaster-no caster-telecaster design, you can see the heritage and evolution.

just some musings on those old sweet instruments.

L

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE