PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Jetaman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys,
I would like to hear some suggestions as to where should a person start Ted's lessons? These lesson sheets that are posted here were given to different people with different musical background and goals. There is no suggested learning path, which I think there should be. Like the Trail Guide for Chord Chemistry. 
Should a student learn all these lessons or shoud one just delve into the V system? There are many ways where to start and what to do. Well, like I said I need some suggestions.
Thank you!

James

Reply with quote  #2 
If you want to learn V-System chords, start with V-2 here:

http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/v_system_V2.asp

The question of where to start with the enormous amount of Ted material comes up frequently.  The answer depends on you.  What do you love?  Do you love Blues?  Then start learning some of Ted' Blues sheets.  What in guitar do you love or want to learn more about?
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #3 
I think we all agree about the guide.  I'm working on it.  Until then, where you start really depends upon where you are and what appeals.  Ted often asked his first time students "What do you want to learn?"

Sort of an intimidating question, but since he could go anywhere he was interested in, I suppose it was a good place to start.

There are basically two approaches:
   Topic - scales, chords, baroque, etc.
   Musical - Jazz, blues, holiday, standards . . .

You might be in either approach, or at the intersection of two.  The forum can make recommendations if you tell us a bit about what interests you.

(My answer to Ted, by the way was "I play mostly country-rock, but I'm pulled by film scores as I heard them all the time as a kid." That confounded us both! 😉 )
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #4 
Jetaman,
In response to your email of yesterday, where you start depends upon what you want to play. If you can describe your experience and what you want to learn, we can answer about where to start.  In answer to the question about the V system, I will not be writing about that. James has that covered. Regarding when I might finish the material I'm working on, I would say within 60 days or so.  But, I can help you via lessons if you have some particular deadline. I've just got a lot going on so predictions on time are a bit speculative.

I've posted here because I couldn't find your question on the forums anywhere. ?!?
Leon
Jetaman

Reply with quote  #5 
To make long story short - I want to learn fingerstyle in all its sides. I want to 'see' the fretboard and recognize notes, i want to be able to arrange songs in fingerstyle, i want to learn a ton of chords and be able to use them in harmonizing melodies. I want to learn to comp for a singer in jazz tunes, and play in a trio (guitar,bass,drums) format, and play solo guitar. At the moment, I am not interested in improvisation and single note soloing.
Right now, I'm studing Harmonic Mechanisms by George Van Eps. I know that Ted was his student and a friend. I feel that I have to learn from George first and then move to Ted. But George's approach is only based on triads and doesn't go beyond that - he doesn't teach tunes, progressions etc. He leaves this to us to discrover. I feel that my practice agenda can use a combination of George's and Ted's materials. 
James

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Jetaman,

Since you're using George Van Eps to be very systematic and thorough, I'd use Ted for more fun.  Do some arrangements and comping pages from Ted, if you haven't already.  If they are hard, his Blues pages are also great, fun, and ease you into lots of interesting chords.

You, of course, could also work through the V-System.  But it is systematic and very thorough, yet in a very different way from Harmonic Mechanisms by GVE.  I think you'd have more fun and learn a ton playing arrangements or comps from Ted of songs you like.
Jetaman

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks James. I will follow your suggestions.
Also, since Leon mentioned skype, I wanted to ask you, James and Leon as well if you are available for skype lessons or consultations. It would be nice to talk to you in person.
Thanks
James

Reply with quote  #8 
I just teach at a school in Los Angeles and a little at my home.  I don't do Skype at the moment.  There are others here, like Tim Lerch who is great, who might give Skype lessons, I don't know.  You can click on their names and private message them.
Jetaman

Reply with quote  #9 
Okay thanks. Also it would very helpful to have a difficulty index next to these arrangements or comping pages. I hope Leon does something of this sort in his guide.

I also started thinking about this in more depth and I had this idea to create a complete Ted Greene Guitar Method book, where you explain a concept from Fundamentals section, then use an arrangement or a comping page to demonstrate this concept. Also don't put everything in this book. Don't explain v-system. That is explained already. Also don't cover baroque pr classical pieces. That could go in another book. Also don't cover single note soloing.
Well basically create a single method book which includes everything from Arrangements, Blues, Chord Studies, Comping, Fundamentals, Harmony and Theory carefully selected, combined into sub-groups and explained and what's important the difficulty progresses from beginning to the end. What do you think about this?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE