PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
widdly

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi,

I'm new here.  I've had chord chemistry for a few years but haven't really dug into it so to speak.  However I'm really enjoying Ted's arrangements people have shared here.  Thanks a lot.  I'm learning to play "A Little help from my friends" and "Close to you".  The so called "easy" arrangements [eek].

At the end of the Close to You sheets there are some chords for leading into a repeat but modulated to a different key.  

When you guys modulate to a different key, do you just transpose Ted's original chord shapes up/down a few frets?  I imagine this would mostly work apart from a few problems with open strings and chords low down the neck.

Or do you come with new versions of the same harmony to better fit where the transposed melody sits on the fretboard or perhaps you take it as an opportunity to re-harmonise completely?

Also I imagine many of you would take these sheets as a starting point.  Do you embellish the arrangements much?  What sort of things do you like to try?  Adding more rhythm to the chords, arpeggiation, fills etc.  Do you like to play things through straight then introduce fancy stuff on the repeats?

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome!  I think your questions  are great, and I can imagine Ted might chuckle if he heard them.  Because you're questions are, to me, the ones to be asking.  My answer would be "Yes."  To all of them.
Traditionally there are some approaches people have used.  These aren't Ted's per se as they're a bit simple for his playing level, but . . .

-Modulate and repeat in new key (fixing the open string chords etc as you state).
-Go up or down an octave and repeat.
-Extend the harmony - staying in the same feel of the first pass, but a little more colorful. (Probably diatonic harmonic additions like C major to C maj6, Cmaj7, Cadd9, or even Csus.)
Move to a new tonality (major to minor, although something that abrupt might be too much.  Try it on Jingle bells[smile]  )
-Change the harmony - chord subs, back cycle, etc. (Chromatic chord substitutions, b5s as opposed to diatonic harmony changes)
-Change tempos or 'feels' - classic Ted (along with everything else he did).  The album and videos show him moving from a free form introductory passage to a steady feel version, and then a swing or walking bass interpretation, then deep ballad, and perhaps Bach or chromatic opposing lines to the end.  That is a LOT.  (and he sometimes moves from 4/4 to 3/4)

- I sometimes find myself taking a favorite melody from a bridge or chorus and trying to build an introduction to the song with it. "As Time Goes By" is a song often played from the popular chorus shown in the movie, but the real beginning of the tune can be a great place to experiment.

what should you do?  what feels right, what you hear inside, and what you hear another arrangement try.  The learning process should be do-able and gradual so you internalize it and make it your own.  There are some wonderful players that will probably chime in here with more details.  Thanks for excellent questions - I look forward to everyone's thoughts.
Leon

DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #3 
I think Leon pretty much summed it up. [wink]

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for your detailed answer Leon.  Lots to think about.  I was expecting the Ted Greene approach would be to try every approach you can think of.

I like the idea of trying different tempos and 'feels' and I've been doing just that with "With a little help from my friends".   It's feels like a move in the right direction from reading a score to interpreting a tune.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE