PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sammo

Reply with quote  #16 
Cool discussion !!

Over resolving dominant chord Min/maj7 arpeggio up half step gives nice altered sound (root, b9, 3, #5). Min9/maj7 adds b3. I guess this is more ppropriate fort single lines, though.

I stole that one from Robben Ford (Help The Poor solo!).   
kontiki

Reply with quote  #17 
I love Robben Ford! one of my favs!  That's a pretty common, but cool device, but by extension, one can substitute (in theory) a min/maj7 chord a half step up (on bVI) in place of a V if the context permits (altered sound). 

another way i often substitute min/maj7  is to play a Imin/maj7  in th place of  a IV7 in major and minor keys.  

for example: in "Tenderly"  the first 4 chords are normally  Ebmaj7 Ab7  Ebm7  Ab7

but one could play  Ebmaj7  Ebmin/maj7   Ebm7  Ab7  

in "beautiful love" there's a  IV7   when it goes to the G7(#11) , so instead of playing Dm7 to G7(#11)  one could play Dm7 to DmMaj7.

Same thing in "Body and Soul"

in Samba de Bencao  the chords vamp between  I and IV7   but one could play instead::  Imaj7  to IminMaj7

the same things works for II7 in major (play a min/maj7 chord a 5th up) but it works a little less convincingly in my opinion.

sorry if it sounds like i'm lecturing, I just love talking about this stuff and wonder what ideas others have.

iiiiii

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE