PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everybody,
Are you ready for the new stuff from Ted for March?
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

Also see that Dan Sindel has added all of the California Vintage Guitar seminar (2003-12-14) videos (reformatted in higher video resolution) on Ted's YouTube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-kofVXLz0XabumwaN3Xfjar9ic-dALbv
Check them out!

Hope you like all the new lesson material.

Reply with quote  #2 
Also wanted to let you know that we replaced a file that had a small typo on it.
Here is a link to the new, corrected version:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/baroque/MelodyAndHarmonyRelationshipsInMinorKeys_1976-03-05.pdf
Thanks to kontiki (Mike de Luca) for finding and reporting this error.

This is what our "humble" webmaster, Dan Sindel, wrote when I asked him to swap out the old file with the corrected one:

"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it."

Sheeeesh!   [rolleyes]  [smile]

Reply with quote  #3 
Just want to say, yes, totally get the idea of your notations. Back in the 70's I got pretty quick with Ted's diagrams as I devoured his books, but the work on this site makes it all so much more inviting and indeed accessible. TedGreene.com epitomizes the true value of the Internet.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, goldglob, that means a lot.

Reply with quote  #5 
I've gone back and forth as to whether staff notation of Ted's music is helpful.

Years ago, I used to meet weekly with my sight-reading partner and read stacks of music books with him to get better at note reading.  He and I both took lessons from Ted and he told me that he wished Ted wrote out more of his material in notation.  My friend was a truly outstanding player and sight-reader, having been first chair at Berklee in one of the top sight-reading groups and playing with Tony Rizzi's five guitar, super sax like group that could read chicken scratches with ease.  So I got influenced by his point of view and went to Ted requesting that he write out more notation.  Ted said that he had many students that weren't readers and that he felt his system had just the right ambiguity for various interpretations.  So then, that made sense to me.

Nowadays I really appreciate Paul V.'s notation, whether it's just the melody with Ted's chords above, or whether it's the complete Ted arrangement in notation.  I'll look at both Paul's notation and the original Ted diagrams when I'm working on Ted material myself or with a student.  Paul's notation is often a sanity check that the melody and chords are in synch.  Sometimes with Ted diagrams alone I can lose the sense of the melody or the meter or the rhythm or the feel.  With Paul's notation, I have some idea of one way to do it that is reasonable.  Then it can be played with, changed up.

One thing is certain:  Back when I played a Ted arrangement for Ted in a lesson, invariably I would play it with a different feel and rhythm than he would. His rhythm was always different than what I came up with from the diagrams.  And he encouraged you to play things many ways, with different feels and rhythms.

So I know that I can't be Ted and don't want to be.  I won't be able to help playing his stuff my own way, which is fine.  I am grateful to Paul for writing out what he does even though it, too, can never be exactly Ted.  It's still a great guide and another way we all lift each other up.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi James,
Good story about sight-reading and Ted and notation.  I appreciate your comments and support.  That means a lot coming from you whom I respect so much.
I really enjoyed working on Ted's V-System with you.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE