PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
TokyoHillbilly

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi there,

I have been a fan of Ted since one of my first guitar teachers showed me chord chemistry back in the early 80's. Ted's Solo Guitar is also one of my desert island CDs for sure.

Anyways, I olve the sound combination that electric guitar and Leslie speakers produce. So many of my favorite guitarists have used Leslies: Ted Greene, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, Lonnie Mack, etc., etc...

What Leslie speakers work the best for electric guitar? How does one incorporate Leslies into one signal chain? For example, if I used an old Marshall 100 watt amp (like a JTM45) how could I switch between the stright sound from the two 4x12 cabinets to the Leslie? Once I figure this out, I'm want to get one! Thanks 

Reply with quote  #2 
Someone can answer this much better than i can, but i'll do this from memory. The speaker that Ted used was actually made by Fender under license from the Leslie company. It used their technology but made for guitar instead of organs. Fender doesn't make those anymore but Motion Pro and Little Leilani make them.

It is possible to use an actual wooden Leslie speaker, but they need some modifications to work with a guitar.

Reply with quote  #3 
It's a leslie model 16.  I have one which is presently being used as a perch for my cats. 

Reply with quote  #4 

I used to have one of those years ago....still miss it.

I am presently using a Pod XT, which has a very authentic sounding rotating speaker/Leslie effect as one of its features. 

I received the Pod for Christmas several years ago, and I was very skeptical about the whole 'amp modeling' concept, so it was 6 months before I even played with it seriously.  Once I took the time to actually READ the manual, and experiment with the deep editing features, I have become a reluctant convert...I recomend going to a store which has one for demo, bring your own headphones, and check it out!

Reply with quote  #5 
I considered one of those Pods.  I know they are good amp sims.  I noiticed Ted had one sitting in a pile the last one I was at his place. 

I picked up a rotosphere leslie sim, and I think it is pretty good.  It has a tube amp sim, that I think makes my guitar sound pretty good for use with my HD recorder. 

So, my leslie 16 nowadays, is a resting spot for Nestle and Peanut.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSawyer
Someone can answer this much better than i can, but i'll do this from memory. The speaker that Ted used was actually made by Fender under license from the Leslie company.

If I'm understanding you correctly, are you speaking of a Vibratone amp? If I have the name correct.
The difference between the leslie and the vibratone is that in the Leslie the actual speaker turns, creating the sound. But on a Vibratone, the speaker is stationary, and has a plastic unit that spins in front of the speaker throwing the sound out in every direction. I believe most like the Leslie sound better, but for road/touring work, the vibratone is the way to go for more durability.
And yes, the Vibratone is based on the Leslie Model 16.

Reply with quote  #7 
Yes thanks, it was a Fender Vibratone. I know Ted had one of those. But now that i think of it, i can't be 100% certain that's what TG used on the record. Perhaps he was using a rotating Leslie (like the model 122). William Perry or Leon White, do you guys remember?

Reply with quote  #8 

Dan and Youngblood have this covered. I just wanted to add that according to Art Thompson's book, "Stompbox", Fender produced the Vibratone from 1967 through 1972. At that time CBS owned both Fender and Leslie. The design is as Youngblood said, " a lightweight foam baffle that rotated around a 10 inch speaker. It had two speeds.

The Vibratone is reputed to be used on Stevie Ray Vaughan's recording,"Cold Shot". I do not know if Ted owned one.

Reply with quote  #9 
For absolute sure Ted had a rotating Leslie! He sold it a while back.
Reply with quote  #10 

I have the Fender Vibratone Ted used way back when.

I bought it in the mid-90's at Guitarville on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks (since moved to Denver). Bruce Gittleman, the owner, told me Ted had sold it to him.  I subsequently ran into Ted at a magazine stand and mentioned that I'd bought this thing. He acknowledged that he sold it to Bruce, and said he used to be "addicted" to it.  He said he wouldn't play out anywhere without it and a Twin Reverb, all of which was extremely heavy and bulky, so he forced himself to "cold turkey".  Anyway, the Vibratone is totally stock, in good condition, sounds great, and is about as noisy as you can hear on the record - the "whirr" is apparent.

I'm 99.9% sure that this is what Ted used on his album.  I make that assesment based on the sound.  I may have confirmed this with Ted but don't remember a specific discussion.  At this point all I remember is that I always "knew" it was used on the (then) LP.

Fender only "made" these from 1967 to 1972. They were actually manufactured by Leslie, another CBS company, at the time. The only thing Fender had to do with it was design the nameplate and sell them!  Ted's was either a '67 or '68, as determined by cosmetics.

The Vibratone uses a rotating styrofoam drum around a 10" speaker to get a Leslie sound. Unlike most Leslie units, the Vibratone can interface directly, through 1/4" jacks to the speaker outputs of guitar amps. Based on my conversation with Ted, he used a Twin Reverb with his Vibratone when playing gigs. So this is probably the combination that created the "signature sound" of Ted's album, along with whatever guitars he used. Which was all secondary to brain, heart and fingers, right? 

The Vibratone has two speeds.  I believe Ted used the slow one exclusively on his album. An example of the fast speed can be heard on "Cold Shot" by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

By the way, the way these are miked makes a huge difference in the recorded sound, and there are many, many different options to setting up one or more mikes around a Vibratone - the sound comes out in at least four different places: front, sides, and top.

An EXCELLENT site to see and learn more about the Vibratone is: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vrbass/vibratone/

I hope that helps.  So sorry to see the web site dissappear.

Bob
Reply with quote  #11 

George,

Thanks so much for the wonderful post. The included link was much fun to read.

KHGuitarFreak

Reply with quote  #12 

It would depend on what kind of Leslie like effect you are after. You could go for one of those Fender Vibratone or a rotating speaker unit. If you don't want to spend that kind of money and also on the fairly heavy and large units, you could try those Univibe type pedals. There's a bunch of them, but I would recommend those KR Megavibes or Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe+. Also, some chorus pedals with vibrato functions are great too. One of them being the Roland CE-1 Chorus. If you don't have that kind of money for one, nor want to put up with the hassles of owning one, check out the Retro-Sonic Chorus pedal...

YoungBlood

Reply with quote  #13 
I have the PodXt, and while it's not exactly the same as a Leslie, it has that effect built-in and it's a pretty damn good one!
Far lighter too!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE