PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
KyleK

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi I was wondering if anybody could turn me on to any books, programs, DVD's, online classes etc. to learn jazz rhythms. I feel I could benefit much more from Ted's Jazz lessons and Modern Chord Progressions book if I could properly play different jazz rhythms. I would love to eventually be able to go to jam sessions and be able to play standards but am a bit stumped at the moment. I am interested in starting from a Freddie Green quarter note approach to more advanced modern rhythms and everything in between. There is plenty of material to learn lead playing from but I am having difficulty finding anything specifically for the rhythm part of jazz which is a very important part of the language.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
I can't help with books, but check out the 'comping' material here, and if stumped for a starting place, try some standards in a simple bossa nova style. 

That doesn't have too many changes too quickly, and gives you time to try and 'settle in' with the changes.  Tunes like "a day in the life of a fool" or "how insensitive" might be early choices to just get used to some of the grabs. Hope this helps a tiny bit.
-Leon
PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Kyle,
I admit I've been negligent about posting any of Ted's lessons on Rhythm Studies in the Lessons section.  
Ted doesn't have anything written up in his standard lesson hand-out sheets, but I found some pages in his "Personal Music Studies" papers.
These are a collection of rhythmic figures to use when strumming chords, etc.  
They need some work, like a transcription page, in order to be more readable and thus useful to everyone.  
I promise to include at least one of these pages for the November Newsletter New Items.  
I think the best section in which to put these files will be the "Comping" section, since it has to do with rhythmic accompaniment.  
Thanks for your interest.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Leon I will try out those tunes as soon as possible and Paul that would be great. My birthday happens to be in next month so I will consider it an early bday gift.. haha but seriously I am looking forward to it
PolythenePam

Reply with quote  #5 
two ideas for books - 1) barry galbraith's comping book. i think it's available from jamey aebersold.  2) jazz guitar comping by andrew green.  also, a suggestion relating to ted's materials -- i think i might possibly recall seeing some of ted's blues sheets, jump back blues, or something like that, with some forward motion type rhythmic devices or suggestions in that space and time between the end of one measure and the start of another.
James

Reply with quote  #6 
Of course, the most important thing is to listen to great musicians.  What rhythms do they use in different situations?  What rhythms do I really like and want to use in my own playing?

Do I care more about voicings sometimes and am fine playing chords in a steady rhythm?  Or do I want to freely improvise rhythm, too?  Do I balance putting the emphasis on harmony, rhythm, bass or soprano melodies?  Should my groove compliment the rhythms of the melody, lock into a traditional dance style, or have its own logic?

Can I develop my own style and rhythmic feeling?  How can both my own loves and my own limitations lead me to discover for myself?

Lots of listening, books, experimentation, and your own questions can lead you to new discovery.  Have fun!
klasaine

Reply with quote  #7 
Ted was fond of saying, "listen to the piano players, we all follow them".

Reply with quote  #8 
Amen to "listen to the piano players."
And speaking of piano players, Mike Longo, long-time pianist, music director and close friend of Dizzy, has a couple of excellent dvd's on The Rhythmic Nature of Jazz, available at 
http://www.jazzbeat.com/woodshed.html
You won't find any Freddie Green feel, it's more bebop, but he has a way of teaching the feel through drumming (you can just use a table top, though a little djembe (?) drum is helpful).
It can help you feel poly-rhythmically (for starters, 3 and 4 happening at the same time) and by the time you get to feeling half-note triplets, you'll see your melodic lines start to float, and not be tied to the squared-off sense of the beat. 
These two dvd's are basic, and more advanced ones are planned, at some point. Hope this is of help to you.
Allan
KyleK

Reply with quote  #9 
Thankyou for all of the replies, lots of great advice.
JosieSimon

Reply with quote  #10 
You may want to check this - Jazz Guitar Lessons. It has a number of classes/lessons available online. [smile]
PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
Hey guys,
I know this is a bit off-topic, but I thought it was so important that I wanted to share.  I believe this could greatly enhance one's single-note playing if thoroughly practiced in a daily routine. Keeping the accents on 2 and 4 is even better for the right jazz feel.
It has helped me immensely.

Reply with quote  #12 
Haha! that is hilarious. 

Reply with quote  #13 
What a coinkydinky!! Just today, my good friend Tom Lippincott posted a brand new lesson exclusively on rhythm in jazz here:

http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/index.php/Rhythm-Workshop/Detailed-product-flyer.htmlI have not seen it yet, but all of his other classes are *****!!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE