PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Joe2758

Reply with quote  #1 
In the book, Ted mentions a few times that it was designed to be played through in order. Does anyone have any insight as to why he started with I iii IV V? I haven’t seen it in standards yet. Is it something I can just throw in as a turnaround? An option to replace a I vi ii V?

I’m aware of how I and iii can have the same function, and IV the same function as ii. It’s a nice progression and the melodies are great. I’m just wondering why he chose it. Was it a pet favorite of his?
BigMickey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Joe,

Hoping all is well.  Maybe because the progression is diatonic and potentially easy on the ears.  Also sets you up for the next section on diatonic chord scales and the exercises concerning working through various diatonic forms, and the SWR and SWB progressions  At the start of the next section on I vi ii V, Ted writes that it's comparatively "another" important diatonic harmonic formula, so it appears that was what he might have been thinking regarding the I iii IV V.  Also easy to riff using the appropriate major scale over the progression, so a good place to break the ice for players new to modern chord progressions.

Just my thoughts.  I am sure that those who knew Ted have a more definitive answer.

Mike
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE