PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
sjl

Reply with quote  #1 
I have two sons (4 & 3 years old) and I want to introduce them into music, I want to open their ears just before they begin to close!
Do you have any advice or method for this task!
Has to be a funny one, children are very impatience.

Reply with quote  #2 
I' ve got two girls (6 & almost 3). Almost every time when we have a meal together, I put on a jazz CD. And then I say in my best "promoter-voice": "We are listening to the great Wes Montgomery on guitar. And he's accompanied by the great Paul Chambers on bass, Wynton Kelly on the piano and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Those three guys were the rhythm section of the incomparable Miles Davis!...." I throw in any anecdote that I know about the song or the artist. And I try to make them aware of the different sounds like "the bass is the low dum-dum-dum-dum in the background"

Also as the two were babys and were made ready for the night, the older one had to listen to "wellness-music" from a drudgery store and the younger one could listen to Ted Greene. We'll see if this will have any influence :-)

We've bought an ukulele for christmas, some years ago. But both refuse to let me show them "Brother Jacob".

At least both of them like singing. And they are making up their own songs (mostly just other lyrics "of the day" over a known melody).

My tip for the season: Get your guitar and learn an easy christmas song with them to perform for Santa Claus!
AndersG

Reply with quote  #3 
Exposure. In my case, my parents had a LP collection in the thousands. "Music" to me wasn't something that relied on popular culture, which was a bit alienating from my peers who tended to reconcile 'music' with whatever was playing on the radio or on MTV, but the formative trade-off was worth it. 

Also, long gone are the days when popular culture provided any degree of decent music exposure. Its a complete garbage dump of 'performers' with almost no musicians. That's the downside to these days we are in. The upside is that music is no longer constrained to discs and is essentially limitless. Kids now can listen to whatever they want on demand, instantly, wherever they are. Unimaginably empowering. It is reshaping how kids view music whereas people over 30 tend to reconcile music in terms of eras relative to their own lives, under 30 are far more open minded. Its not uncommon for a young kid today to be listening to something from the 70's whereas a young kid in the 70's would've been viewed as quite the eccentric oddball for listening to something from the 40's. 

I say expose them to different types of music, pay attention to what they like and then follow that path. 
sjl

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Anders.

It is something sad that having access to all the music we want, people hear less than before. Nobody stops and listen a piece music in a relaxed focused way.
I remember those days when my family took a break for just listen a piece of music.

Reply with quote  #5 
My wife sung Gershwin to our son and daughter at bed time.  When it was my turn, I murdered it.  Movies scores were the 'trick' we used from ages 4-10.  I'd play a short excerpt of something off of the VHS and ask them what they imagined it to be? (no peeking at the screen).  We'd get into a discussion of how it might 'sound like the ocean,''monsters,' 'flying,' etc.  I encouraged them both to imagine, and then we'd have the big reveal. 

there are many contemporary movies without robots that can be used.  Slightly older ones they liked included
Out of Africa (flying and the ocean)
High Road to china (same score)
Various Disney live action and some animated.
Debussy for ethereal forest and sea.

And Then the Vintage ones:
Walter Mitty (great "city" sounds)
Max Steiner You name it.
swashbucklers by Korngold and Newman

It was always just briefly before we would watch a family movie.

As they got older, and had Ted in the house, they bathed in his enthusiasm and absurd depth of repertoire. But, the theme game and the Gershwin were profoundly influencing. Exposure, showing YOUR interest in music, short activities, peer-to-peer discussion(chat).  In their 30's today, they always rate new films they see including the score. Both ended up studying the piano and guitar.

Leon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE